Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITCHY dog,keeping me up all night

Options
  • 04-03-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,
    we got a rescue dog from the pound on saturday,she was found on the naas road,she is VERY under weight,was very very dirty and smelly,we're not sure what has happened to her,she has a great temprement.a large patch of hair is missing from her head and she has some cuts around her ears and face,i don't think she was a fighting dog as she is so friendly with our other staff.she has definatly had puppies within the last few month.i have washed her and frontlined her,cleaned her eyes with warm teabags and wormed her on saturday and on sunday i wormed her and got her microchipped.she has not been spayed yet as she is in heat.but the problem is she is scratching herslf all the time,i've checked for fleas or a rash and nothing there,she's making herself bleed ,she'll stand up scratching her belly and her legs,bum,ears EVERYWHERE,i have had nearly no sleep as i have to get up and look after her,i put some oats water on her belly last night to help and it did,for a couple of hours!!what is wrong?can i catch this?and my other dog is in perfect health,he was frontlined 3 weeks ago and i wormed him with her on sunday.can she give him this condition too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

God. Why not bring her to a vet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

And how do you think anyone here can treat your dog?

Bring her to vet for God's sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Firstly, good on you for taking a 'not-so-perfect' dog from the pound.

Secondly, he needs a vet!! He could have mange.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

please don't take me for an idiot guys.we brought her back to the pound on sunday and i explained to the owner what was wrong,she had a look and said it could be because she was so dirty that her skin has been irritated.my mother,who has also had dogs all her life,reckons it could be that she is simply not used to the warmth and it is irritating her skin.the fronline may have killed any mites that were under her skin.she is not in pain she is just irritated,BEFORE i bring her to the vet which i HAVE planned to do this evening i wanted to know if there was anyone who may have had the same problem...i have a very healthy dog already,i know how to look after them and i simply would like an opinion from other dog owners...thanks

it doesn't really seem like mange...the hair falls off with mange doesn't it?she has a patch of hair missing but it's from an obvious accident on her head.the reason i haven't brought her to the vet yet was because i was told to give it afew days,she really was filthy when we got her and i have bathed her,it could be that her skin is irritated from that?just need other opinions before i go to the vet,he's not the greatest and hate paying him when he'll probably diagnose her wrong.it will be friday before i can bring her to a better vet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

What do you have her sleeping on - I'd leave her on newspaper for a few days and see does this make any difference. Bedding is a common source of skin irritation that causes scratching.

There are so many possible causes of scratching that I think you will be very lucky if the vet can track it down with one visit. If he/she can't then I suspect they will try and remove the bedding as a possible source of problems anyway. That's not to say that you should hold off on a vet's exam anyway - given her dodgy history I think it's essential at this point.

she actually stole my other dogs bed :) she's a cheeky girl.i didn't think of the bedding but i will take it away and swap it for newspaper.it needs a wash anyway as she's in heat and been dripping a little on it
    thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

I'd suspect mange at this time of year.The hair is scratched off rather than falling out and it takes a little time for that to happen.She well may have picked up the mites in the pound.FRONTLINE doesn't work on sarcoptic mange.If that's what she has your other dog most certainly will get it too.It's not difficult to treat though,there's a wash you get from the vet which both dogs will have to have twice,9-10 days between washes to break the life cycle of the mite.OR there's good old Ivomec,again dosed at 9-10 day intervals.DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS PRODUCT YOURSELF!It's not licensed for use in dogs and toxic shock is possible.Vets commonly use it these days but they know a] which breeds it is 'safe' for and b] what to do in the event of toxicosis.DO take both dogs with you when you go to the vet,if it is mange they'll both have to be treated.Guys I think you were a little rough on OP here!Can't people ask advice without someone jumping down their throats?

thanks a mill,i've booked her in for the vet this evening,i'll repeat what you said and see what he thinks when he looks at her....by the way,what are the chances she's passed it on to us if it is in fact mange??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It might be possible that this is just a sign of her distress. If so, heopfully as she relaxes into her new life with you, she'll drop the habit.

Though a trip to the vet will probably help too.

• Advertisement

It's possible for humans to get sarcoptic mange-I've had it!THE ITCH IS UNREAL! -but not likely.Mites can't breed on us so the irritation is brief but memorable! IF you get an unbelievably intense itch-you'll know it if you get it!-a simple very hot bath fixes it.The little boogers burrow into the skin,that what causes the itch,to lay their eggs.They can't lay eggs in humans though they might try! Heat kills them.If you're worried take a hot bath before the itch starts. Also wash the dogs bed on a hot cycle with bleach to kill any that have landed there.It all sounds revolting I know but they are easy to get rid of!

Thankyou for all your helpful info and advice,that really does sound nasty,i've had afew horrid skin conditions and would certainly not appreciate another.I will wash her bed and Deeogy's too so he doesn't catch anything.
    I brought her to the vet and pretty much repeated what you had told me,he said it is highly unlikely it's mange,he had a good look at her,he ended up giving me antibiotics and another drug to help the itching for her,the hair that is missing on her head is actually from someone setting fire to her,some people really are sick and twisted!!
    She will have a much happier life with us anyway :)
    I'm not sure if you can get this pic but this is Sophie
    http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9694a07770&realattid=f_fddi9hpq0&attid=0.1&disp=inline&view=att&th=118766ce76b03863

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

If a dog has mange there is a simple remedy out there that can be got at the vets and it is called ADVOCATE and you simple put in between the shoulders and down along the back.

IVERMEC is the old way of treating Mange in dogs but you have to be very careful as it will kill a dog that has any breed of Collie in it.

Humans can get a skin condition from dogs that have Mange and the name of that is SCABIES.

Congrats to you on getting a dog from a pound and may you all have many years of happiness....................................

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the active ingredient in Advocate dimethoxyphorphinothioylthio (butanedioc acid for short)? That's an organophosphate parasympathomimetic which (although certainly a brutally effective paraciticide) also acts as an anticholinesterase.Without going too far into the effects of that on cholinergic neurons, we're talking possible side effects like myocardial infaction,neurological damage,birth defects (which aren't an issue for a hysterectomised bitch) but as anticholinesterase is an element in anaesthesia that does make it an issue in this event.By the way Airedales can't take Ivomec either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I suspect its stress related as well as being malnourished. My stray collie had similar issues when I found her but gradually they went away with good food care and a stable home life. Of course she required lots of vet care and this cost a fair bit as well.

I know my collie found it hard to adjust to warm environments as well but again gradually became more comfortable in them but is still fairly intolerant of prolonged stays in the warmth.

What I do with stressed dogs is give them Bach Rescue Remedy and as stress compromises the immune system,I give them Echinacea which is a herbal immune system booster.In addition to a visit to the vet of course if there's immediate physical problems!I hope you're getting a good night's sleep tonight anyway!I'd guess the vet has given you Prednizone?I may have the name wrong,but a steroidal anti inflammatory anyway to help soothe Sophie's itch.I certainly wouldn't have the temerity to argue with the prescribed treatment but I would say that it also depresses the immune system and I suspect the vet would have no objection to you using Echinacea at the same time to retrieve the balance.It's always a good idea to check with the vet first before applying herbal treatments alongside medication though.People think herbal remedies are so mild they can do no harm but that is not always true. I've given Echinacea alongside antibiotics before(and always a probiotic too in that instance) but I've never asked for clearance for their use with steroidal anti inflammatories and therefore am not sure if it's okay to do.Just some thoughts to hit your vet with...

Well the vet did tell me not to wash her skin as they might still want to do tests if the drugs upset her,i would use a herbal remedy if it was my other dog as i know he's tough and wouldn't worry too much about him but Sophie is very fragile and as it is she is suffering abandonment issues so her tummy could easily get upset.She is healthy in the 'toilet' area though :) i've been keeping a close eye on all her stools and so far nothing is or at least nothing SEEMS wrong,actually seems better 'formed' than Deeogy sometimes.Good to know all this info about mange and treatments though in case either of them ever do pick it or something else up.
    As for scabies?i didn't realise that was related,I caught it off a girl i went to school with once,it was one of the most creepy things i ever got,it starts itching like CRAZY in between your toes and anywhere you get warm or sweaty,you can easily make yourself bleed without even realising it,i can't remember what the treatment was,i do remember calamine lotion all over my body and having to change the bed sheets over and over...utter misery,thank god it's not that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

Well what-ever about the Non Pronounceable names in a previous post that I cannot even find on the W.W.W. :D

ADOVOCTAE is very highly recommended by all Vets for the treatment of Mange both Sarcoptic & Demodectic.

And lets face it all treatments for Animals and Humans alike in what ever form can and do carry ingredients that can have the odd Chemical reaction.

I have been administering ADVOCATE since it 1st came out a few years ago and not once once has a dog got sick as a result of it or had any bad reaction to it and I have treated many with very bad mange and all dogs that come into the rescue are automatically treated with it.

Not only does it treat Mange but also Fleas and prevents heart worm, Controls intestinal worms and intestinal worm larva. Roundworm and Hookworm and also controls Lice and it is safe to use on 7 week old puppies!

ME .............. I am a great believer in ADVOCATE!

Advertisement