Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Warden

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was walking my Dog's (Westies) in St. Annes park in Raheny, Dublin today.

As it was nearly 11am as I approached the Park, I put my Dog's on their leads, as after 11am that is the Law.

I seen the Dog wardens (2) waiting outside in an unmarked white transit van.

At exactly 11am the van took off at high speed down the main avenue in the park.
    One of the guy's got out and jumped into some bushes and hid in some bushes.

The other drove a little further down the avenue, then jammed on the brakes, reversed very quickly back up the avenue, jumped out of his van and ran across a football field yelling at a Old Lady because her little Dog was off the lead.

I looked at my watch, it was exactly 5 past 11, then I saw the other guy jumping out from behind the bush and go running after a man who had a very Old King Charles off the Lead.

These two guy's are taking their jobs too seriously.

Any way thought I would pass that on to people who use that Park, I have also seen these two twits doing the same thing along the golf fence on Bull Island.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

5 past 11 and the law is 11am well at least they were doing the right job surely the old dear lady should have known the law and the law is the law!Its like eg court at 11am would you be at that for 5 past 11? No youd get arrested mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Did they look anything like this lot? :D

image_The_Stars_of_Naked_Camera.jpg

At least they were only warning people and not handing out fines left and right. Still I wonder, do you regularly see people in St. Anne's walking dogs without leashes? I know I did whenever I was there. At least they're doing something.

"As it was nearly 11am as I approached the Park, I put my Dog's on their leads, as after 11am that is the Law."

What's the 11am rule exactly? Is that a regulations specific to the park or is it law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

There is a warden who patrols the beach at bull island on the weekends. He flies up and down on his motorbike. He told me to put my dogs on a leash once, i complied with his request and then told him that if he zoomed up behind me on a motorbike ever again i would feed it to him. needless to say he doesnt stop me any more. I must pay a visit to st annes on my next day off, i like confrontation too much not to.

javaboy wrote: »
    Did they look anything like this lot? :D

"As it was nearly 11am as I approached the Park, I put my Dog's on their leads, as after 11am that is the Law."  What's the 11am rule exactly? Is that a regulations specific to the park or is it law?

Think its first hour in the morning and last hour at night that you are allowed to have your dog off the lead

Killme00 wrote: »
    Think its first hour in the morning and last hour at night that you are allowed to have your dog off the lead

Cheers. I had never heard of this. Any idea of a website with the exact wording? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Its the by law specific to the park. I forget where I found them, they are online somewhere... They are allowed off the lead in the evening also. I walk my dog off lead when I am allowed.

I have had a few instances with joggers. Some will veer off the path to run directly towards you roaring at you to put the dog on the lead. (even though the dog is allowed off the lead). They will then act like there is an injured leopard on the loose when the dog looks inquiringly in the direction of the screaming loonatic.

Others will run within two foot of me when walking the dog on the lead. They will dramatically jump in the air with their hands waving about while shouting "JESUS CHRIST" when the dog turns to look at them.

The park is 170 acres, there are paths, tarmac tracks, forested areas, sports grounds, an avenue, an arboretum and lots of pasture land. Its very easy to avoid dogs if you are a jogger, I jog myself and there is lots of room for everyone in the park.

My wife would be open to a lot more criticism than me when walking the dog off the lead (legally) People feel its easier to bully a girl than a fella walking a dog.

I have to admit, sometimes in the depths of winter when the fair weather joggers and general moaners that go to the park in sunshine are not present I break the law and let him have a run. When the weather is good and the park is busy, its best to keep the dogs on the lead.

Thanks. St. Anne's is probably a bit too far out of my way at the moment. Donadea forest park is the handiest for walking my dog and he's great off the leash but it's a leash at all times policy there. Does anybody know any nice parks that allow a dog off leash in or around Kildare/Meath/North West Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

rocky25 wrote: »
    At exactly 11am the van took off at high speed down the main avenue in the park.

So, film them doing this & then lodge a complaint about the driving, or did the van really take off at high speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I must pay a visit to st annes on my next day off, i like confrontation too much not to.

Ah, I've met my soul mate!..

Lol... nothing better than being perfectly within the law and being told your not! :D

• Advertisement

Trojan911 wrote: »
    So, film them doing this & then lodge a complaint about the driving, or did the van really take off at high speed?

It must be Mr T going after whoever lol:D

A dog owner is an easy target. I have seen the public and DCC people turn a blind eye to complete scangers drinking and littering, throwing bottles at people, stoning ducks, driving mopeds and trial bikes, spray painting and terrorising people in general.

The Gardai are the only ones with the balls to do anything, however its not really a priority. The DCC people have no balls, they are basically afraid to say anything, same attitude about the joyriders on Dollymount strand. A lot easier to bollock an old lady with her jack russell off the lead, some decent person walking a dog isn't going to give you abuse, or trouble if you accost them for something silly. That's the way it goes. Again, I'm not just mouthing off, I have seen this happen a lot.

The park has improved a lot lately, so much that its being called St. Annes Park Clontarf instead of Raheny of late! Its got a nice market on Saturdays.

I guess these higher class people are just less tolerant than the old working class dog walking people that used to be the only ones in the park. I meet an old man walking his staffie nearly every morning. The dog is a rescue and one of the most friendly dogs I have ever come across. He misses the days when dogs could roll in the grass, play with kids and have a good run.

Now kids are whipped up, out of "harms" way, they are told "mind the dog, he will bite you". I presume they will grow up terrified of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

lightening wrote: »
    A dog owner is an easy target. I have seen the public and DCC people turn a blind eye to complete scangers drinking and littering, throwing bottles at people, stoning ducks, driving mopeds and trial bikes, spray painting and terrorising people in general.

The Gardai are the only ones with the balls to do anything, however its not really a priority. The DCC people have no balls, they are basically afraid to say anything, same attitude about the joyriders on Dollymount strand. A lot easier to bollock an old lady with her jack russell off the lead, some decent person walking a dog isn't going to give you abuse, or trouble if you accost them for something silly. That's the way it goes. Again, I'm not just mouthing off, I have seen this happen a lot.

The park has improved a lot lately, so much that its being called St. Annes Park Clontarf instead of Raheny of late! Its got a nice market on Saturdays.

I guess these higher class people are just less tolerant than the old working class dog walking people that used to be the only ones in the park. I meet an old man walking his staffie nearly every morning. The dog is a rescue and one of the most friendly dogs I have ever come across. He misses the days when dogs could roll in the grass, play with kids and have a good run.

Now kids are whipped up, out of "harms" way, they are told "mind the dog, he will bite you". I presume they will grow up terrified of dogs.

you never spoke a truer word! Soft targets are easy peasy. Anyone could choose the easy option. DCC should be more proactive going after the litterers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Those two plonkers did get two people prosecuted.

One old man I know, he's 72 and had been recovering from a Triple Bypass operation.
    The other was a woman in her late 60s.

Thet were both fined €500 and had to pay €500 costs for Dublin ****y Council's solicitor.

You can walk your Dog in the park OFF the lead before 11am and after 5pm.

Dog are not allowed off the lead at all in Dollymount as it's a Wildlife Sanctury, I was told by that twat on the bike that if my Dog chased any animals, I would be prosecuted for hunting without a licence.
    I told him if he didn't go away I would be hunting him.

As some of the more senseible people here have posted, they go for soft targets.

Little old Ladies or Women on their own.

All the druggies and wasters wrecking the place are free to do what they want. But some person out walking their Dog, minding their own business are the one's who will get stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

davey180 wrote: »
    5 past 11 and the law is 11am well at least they were doing the right job surely the old dear lady should have known the law and the law is the law!Its like eg court at 11am would you be at that for 5 past 11? No youd get arrested mate!

If you were driving your car and doing 30.05Ks in a 30k zone and got fined and penalty points for speeding.

Would you agree with that and say "Yes Sir,Yes Sir Three Bags Full Sir"

You would in my B###OX.

You must be a right PLONKER or else you work for the county council.

Rocky, If you attack the post and not the poster, you will have more success in getting your point across.

I also think driving over the speed limit and having your dog off the lead are not comparable. People die every day as a result of speeding and not as a direct result of a dog being walked off the lead.

If you were driving your car and doing 30.05Ks in a 30k zone and got fined and penalty points for speeding.

Would you agree with that and say "Yes Sir,Yes Sir Three Bags Full Sir"

You would in my B###OX.

yes in matter in fact ive pulled em for 30.01 sir!:cool:

Rocky, If you attack the post and not the poster, you will have more success in getting your point across.

I also think driving over the speed limit and having your dog off the lead are not comparable. People die every day as a result of speeding and not as a direct result of a dog being walked off the lead.
    hear! hear!

No youd get arrested mate!

Sure thing part time Columbo;). The Gardai are more interested in catching thieves, vandals and rapists. I have chatted to the Gardai in the park with my dog off the lead, believe me, they have better things to be doing. We are talking about general busy bodies and DCC here...

While your there, get me the dog bite stats and compare them with assault by humans in the park.

Sure thing part time Columbo;). The Gardai are more interested in catching thieves, vandals and rapists. I have chatted to the Gardai in the park with my dog off the lead, believe me, they have better things to be doing. We are talking about general busy bodies and DCC here...

While your there, get me the dog bite stats and compare them with assault by humans in the park.
    thats not true as this thread is not about car,speed,gardai.Gardi are interested in any subject mate.As theres a high rise of accidents ,innocent people killed by speed!I dont want to discuss these on this thread as it is Animals/pet issues thanks.

• Advertisement

I dont want to discuss these on this thread as it is Animals/pet issues thanks.

I didn't mention speed or cars "mate". You however are boasting about arresting people for doing .1 kpm over the limit. I simply don't believe you, and if you are a Gard at all, you are doing the force no favours with your immature remarks.

Stick to the subject.

I didn't mention speed or cars "mate". You however are boasting about arresting people for doing .1 kpm over the limit. I simply don't believe you, and if you are a Gard at all, you are doing the force no favours with your immature remarks.

Stick to the subject.
    ex guard mate

I just looked at all your other posts on Boards. I just don't believe you were ever a Guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Can I come with you Kilme00?Sounds like fun!Hot tailpipe first..delicious!I think I know the wardens concerned in the park incident.Young fellers with that certain swagger a uniform gives a certain-rather sad-kind of bloke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Can I come with you Kilme00?Sounds like fun!Hot tailpipe first..delicious!I think I know the wardens concerned in the park incident.Young fellers with that certain swagger a uniform gives a certain-rather sad-kind of bloke..

I just looked at all your other posts on Boards. I just don't believe you were ever a Guard.
    and what makes you say that?

and what makes you say that?

Because you act like your seventeen.

Because you act like your seventeen.
    ha ha ha stop trolling will ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's a shame they aren't as paranoid about Anti-social chavs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

javaboy wrote: »
    Thanks. St. Anne's is probably a bit too far out of my way at the moment. Donadea forest park is the handiest for walking my dog and he's great off the leash but it's a leash at all times policy there. Does anybody know any nice parks that allow a dog off leash in or around Kildare/Meath/North West Dublin?

The DSPCA are planning on opening an off-the-leash dogpark on their grounds in Rathfarnham in the near future.

Advertisement