Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin - another good reason to buy

Options
  • 04-03-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this sounds like an ad, or that I work for Garmin..... I don't.
    But - in all the discussions here about Garmin vs TomTom, or LIDL's latest bargain, or TeeAtlas versus Navteq there's one area that gets little mention, and that's Customer Service.

In the last month since I bought my second Garmin I have moaned at them about getting V9 maps - I got a personal response from 2 people within 2 days, and the DVD later of course.

Last week I managed to snap off the clip that hold the nuvi to the windscreen mount - a quick email to Garmin on Friday night and on Sunday I got a reply saying they were putting a replacement in the post.

That has got to to give you a lot of confidence in these guys.

That's not to say I wouldn't take a serious look at say a TomTom with Navteq maps, mind you!

My first Garmin, by the way, was a GPS 76, a nifty handheld for marine use. Excellent item but not suitable for road navigation as it did not have maps. When after a year or more one of the rubbery keys on this unit (twas waterproof and floated too) came loose Garmin took it back via the retailer (Union Chandlery) and replaced the keys - no charge of any kind.

db.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kevin Heenan

When you were emailing Garmin did you do so via their "Support Page" or did you do so by someother email address. The reason i ask this is that I amhaving some bluetooth issues with a Garmin 760 and the responses though fairly quick have been single line almost monosylabic and not very helpful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Garmin are an odd company with regards to their support. On the one hand they appear to be very efficient and generous when it comes to repairing physical defects when in warranty, and in many cases even when slightly out of warranty. They'll often quickly ship replacement parts or replace a unit with a new or refurbished one without hesitation completely for free.

However, if it comes down to a problem with software, or a problem that is more qualitative or subjective, they seem to go all on the defensive, and you end up going around in circles trying to convince them that there is actually a fault.

They also seem to be completely deaf to any suggestions, sometimes quite simple ones, to improve the functionality their products from people that use them every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

When you were emailing Garmin did you do so via their "Support Page" or did you do so by someother email address. The reason i ask this is that I amhaving some bluetooth issues with a Garmin 760 and the responses though fairly quick have been single line almost monosylabic and not very helpful at all.
    Kevin - I was travelling at the time so I not 100% sure - but AFAIK I used the online form to Product Support. I did also phone their UK helpline but I don't know if the two things were ever connected.
    db.

Advertisement