Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering wether any Sat Nav manufacturers carry speed camera locations on their maps. I know there are a few in Dublin at present and I'd be interested to know if they are on any sat nav systems.

I note on the Garmin website (UK) that it says it does. Does this also apply to ROI.

If they don't carry them, I'm guessing the best option would be a Garmin with a irishspeedtraps.ie subscription ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You get speed camera data on the Garmin Nuvis but there are none for Ireland. I borrowed one from a friend for a trip to Anfield last year and I got several warnings driving around Liverpool. To be honest it became something of a nuisance and that was for fixed (Gatso) cameras, the subscription service from irishspeedtraps has a few fixed cameras but most of their POIs (Points of Interest) are locations where someone spotted a patrol car doing a mobile speed check up to two years ago so if you have their data on your GPS and drive from Dublin to Cork or Galway, the unit will be continuously beeping at you and you won't see any speed traps so eventually you'll switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

coylemj wrote: »
    , the unit will be continuously beeping at you and you won't see any speed traps so eventually you'll switch it off.
    Must say I agree with you - had the damm thing beeping at me all across UK, and I was driving below the limit 99% of the time - very distracting - so eventually disabled it. Pity it doesn't just beep when you are exceeding the limit.
    db.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Due to different laws in Ireland, Garmin do not locate speed cameras on their Irish maps.

A bit like the radar detector law, legal in the UK but not in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Pity it doesn't just beep when you are exceeding the limit.
    db.

My TomTom does

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Hey,

Got a Garmin nuvi 250W recently, Its already preloaded with speed cameras and it works a charm, it beeps only when im breaking the speed limit, if im not breaking the limit a little picture of a camera appears on the screen and thats all :)

I dont know what the camera database is like in Ireland as ive only used this in central europe but its all good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering wether any Sat Nav manufacturers carry speed camera locations on their maps. I know there are a few in Dublin at present and I'd be interested to know if they are on any sat nav systems.
    Here is the list of fixed cameras and Garda raised platforms I have been putting together for the last while: http://irelandbygps.com/treks/GardaHotSpots/

If you'd like a copy that you can upload to your GPS receiver (when you have it!), PM me your e-mail address and the type of device, and I'll send it to you. Definitely, not as complete as other commercial offerings (I don't bother with mobile camera sightings), but a lot more free!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Krusty I have PM'ed you my e-mail address, you might oblige.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Certainly. Sometimes I'm forced to take a break and go back to the stuff I get paid for. :)
    You should have it now.

Advertisement