Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give us the Night

Options
  • 03-03-2008 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this in Gigs/Events, but I guess it suits here as well. What are peoples thoughts on club opening hours?

Was browsing around earlier and it seems like the Give us the Night guys are kicking off the campaign for better opening hours again. Fair play to them, something is definitely needed to be done to bring us in line with the rest of Europe

This from their website as to what its about.....

Our newsletters are not so frequent, however if you have been keeping an eye on www.giveusthenight.com you will be aware that the issue of nightclub licencing in Ireland is once again on the table, as Minister Brian Lenihan prepares to regulate legislation relating the sale of alcohol.

It is now our understanding that there are strong calls to bring back the times that nightclubs can open until, which could result in many clubs in Dublin for instance, having to stop serving alcohol at 2am, with doors closed at 2.30am. The reasoning, from a Garda perspective, is to reduce the amount of public order offences on the streets which they say is still a big problem, despite the fact that public order offences have dropped by 20% in 2007 compared to 2006.

It has also been brought to our knowledge that theatre licences for nightclubs may be effectively done away with, with nightclubs that opened until 3.30am in danger of being pegged back to 12.30am - which means they will only be able to open 'late' if they obtain a special exemption order.

This week we will be going to The Dáil to meet with The Green Party's spokesperson for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, Ciarán Cuffe TD. You may remember his response to the campaign prior to the election, which outlined his party's desire for more liberal licencing laws in Ireland; so we are hopeful that The Greens' stance remains the same and that they may be able to exercise some influence in the current process.

More information and news to follow soon,

Give Us The Night Team

www.giveusthenight.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Indeed Give us the night should be commended for their campaign to extend opening hours in this country.

Ireland is living in the dark ages when it comes to opening hours in clubs and clubs, you can go almost anywhere else in Europe and clubs and bars are open all nite but not here and something needs to be done about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonny68 wrote: »
    Indeed Give us the night should be commended for their campaign to extend opening hours in this country.

Ireland is living in the dark ages when it comes to opening hours in clubs and clubs, you can go almost anywhere else in Europe and clubs and bars are open all nite but not here and something needs to be done about it.

Definitely, but something also needs to be done about the scumbags wandering the city in the early hours too and the obvious absence of guards. I couldn't believe a few months ago the amount of dirt bags on O'Connell Street on a Saturday night - random fights and abuse being hurled about. I am not a stranger to this really but did find it disgusting while waiting for a taxi (for an hour might I add!) - this was at about 3am and I did not see one guard or patrol car that whole time :eek: I saw at least 2 fights and had to put up with some skanger b*tch threatening to hit me and everyone else in the queue; that was somewhat entertaining till she took off her high-heel and took a swing for some bloke!

I am rarely out in town these days at night but what I witnessed that night would put me off. Unless that was a isolated incident?!

Anyway, point being, more guards needed on the streets at night when people are on the way home, regardless of club opening hours.

The other thing is of course that these scumbags are becoming more violent in their methods, in my day it was all fisticuffs :D

Advertisement