Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore

Options
  • 03-03-2008 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all, Just wanted to see if there is anyone else who has bought a place in inchicore area recently or have experience of living there. I am looking at an apartment there which i am happy with value wise and size wise and spec wise but wanted to know if what the area is like.

I am told it is very much up and coming but is that code for rough!

Just thought i'd throw it out there!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nickademus wrote: »
    Hey all, Just wanted to see if there is anyone else who has bought a place in inchicore area recently or have experience of living there. I am looking at an apartment there which i am happy with value wise and size wise and spec wise but wanted to know if what the area is like.

I am told it is very much up and coming but is that code for rough!

Just thought i'd throw it out there!

I don't know if I'd call it "Up and Coming"- its not a bad area, a lot of mature housing and local amenities (including the Luas). Its very much old Dublin, and has a lot of character. There are a lot of new apartments along with the Eircom development after going up lately- which means there is a lot of traffic in the area- but it does have a very good road network. Its very handy for town- and has good transport links. Personally I wouldn't want to live there- having grown up on a farm, but it does have a lot going for it. Some people might consider it to be a little rough- personally I'd have no issues walking there late at night (unlike several other Dublin locations). Lots of quirky local shops- including Dublin's best tropical fish shop.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

Fine if you're not planning on raising kids there IMHO. Nice italian place built by Mick Wallace who did the place opposite the millenium bridge, lifts the whole street I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Fine if you're not planning on raising kids there IMHO.
    I don't mean to be playing devils advocate - but why so? When I'm going to work I see lots of kids being brought to school (walking - so they obviously live nearby) - is there something their parents don't know that you do?
    Nice italian place built by Mick Wallace who did the place opposite the millenium bridge, lifts the whole street I think.

The Italian place he didn't build out of the goodness of his heart. The apartments above were all section 23 - and pretty expensive AFAIR. And like most of the apartment developments in the area - there is some form of designated retail at ground level. I suspect people don't actually remember what was there before - it was dilapidated - I remember a florists on one side. But what it replaced - it did so at the cost of going up 3 or 4 stores and encroaching directly onto the street (the other buildings were set well back) so it feels much more packed in - an improvement? yes - lifting the whole street? - hmm I might just take a rain check on that one.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

I never said he built it out of the goodness of his heart, I presume his aim was to make money, hardly anything wrong with that is there?:confused:
    The reason I don't see it as a place to raise children is stuff I've heard about the area not personal experience so I wouldn't bank a decision on what is only my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nickademus

So... Tropical fish, Good italian, plenty of curry shops for the sunday night take away and there is even a polish shop if my tastes diversify... Its not leafy Ballsbridge by it aint coming out too bad!

No Kids and no plans either and by the time that happens i am guessing there will be fields outside with cows and sheep replacing the tropical fish...

For investment purposes i am hoping the closeness to town will mean they shouldn't really drop in value over the coming years but i am a novice at this!

Think i have seen those same kids going to school. Think there ones that prompted my q!! Only messing i am sure i could take em!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Inichicore is a pretty good place to live with any of the problems that you have to expect living in a modern city.I am from Kilmainham and now live in Inchicore and am more than happy with the area.If you feel that the apt is worth your money then I am sure you will be happy here.I think the trop fish shop is now a polish food store.There is a great bakery and butchers on bulfin road and you will be made feel very welcome there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

emty wrote: »
    Inichicore is a pretty good place to live with any of the problems that you have to expect living in a modern city.I am from Kilmainham and now live in Inchicore and am more than happy with the area.If you feel that the apt is worth your money then I am sure you will be happy here.I think the trop fish shop is now a polish food store.There is a great bakery and butchers on bulfin road and you will be made feel very welcome there.

The trop shop moved up main street from its former location- its across from the church :) (not the Oblades- the other one....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Inciicore has St Pats , reason enough to move there :)

Altho nice and reasonable apartments and handy transport links into city centre and out of city centre are a nice plus.

New Tescos opening on the site of the old cinema, its a tescos express or something like it.

kdjac

I never said he built it out of the goodness of his heart, I presume his aim was to make money, hardly anything wrong with that is there?:confused:

Sorry, its just the way it tends to be described (I've seen interviews with the guy and its the same thing) - its as if while he was parting the Red Sea and curing world hunger, in one last great philanthropic gesture - he gave the great unwashed of Inchicore a proper Italian restaurant!. We also have two Indian restaurants and I noticed a new French cafe on Bulfin Road the other day.

I've lived here for 15 years now - wasn't too mad on the place initially (my mother is originally from Kilmainham so I knew the general area) - used to dread some of the people that would get on the bus at St Michaels Estate in the mornings in those days - but the place has changed a lot and I really like it here now.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dazberry wrote: »
    Sorry, its just the way it tends to be described (I've seen interviews with the guy and its the same thing) - its as if while he was parting the Red Sea and curing world hunger, in one last great philanthropic gesture - he gave the great unwashed of Inchicore a proper Italian restaurant!. We also have two Indian restaurants and I noticed a new French cafe on Bulfin Road the other day.

tbh wallace wanted one thing in inchicore and one thing only, the guy bought numerous plots of land with a single minded view to buy richmond park, he wanted the stadium moved to the site of the flats and when that didnt come about he moved on. But everything he did in inch he did for that and money lots of it which was a nice bonus.

nice guy needs a haircut tho

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

KdjaCL wrote: »
    tbh wallace wanted one thing in inchicore and one thing only, the guy bought numerous plots of land with a single minded view to buy richmond park, he wanted the stadium moved to the site of the flats and when that didnt come about he moved on. But everything he did in inch he did for that and money lots of it which was a nice bonus.

nice guy needs a haircut tho

kdjac

You sure about that? I'm wondering cos he could have just bought the club if he wanted the land - isn't that the reason Garrett Kelleher/Shelbourne Development did it?

Anyway, I don't think the development impacts on the streetscape that much and it's a lovely restaurant. Part of the Suir Road end of Inchicore can be tough enough but St Michael's was far worse and the city council has an awful lot to answer for both in terms of what they let people live in, their withdrawal of services since and their failure to ensure it was redeveloped.

Dazberry, the apts are expensive cos they just add the tax incentive price to what the apartments would sell for normally. Sometimes when you see the prices of ones there you do go wtf but that's the reason behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Vok

Bought a house in Inchicore on Bulfin Road coming up on 2 years ago.

And, to tell you the truth, living here has been pretty fantastic, actually. Way better than I could have reasonably expected.

I don't know at what point I decided I wanted to live here. My primary impression of the place for years was based on seeing a guy drop a cigarette on the ground just before he went into the medical clinic, across from the bank, which I thought was pretty classy. Til, 10 seconds later a second guy comes out of the place and, somehow, as if he already knew, spots the still-burning cigarette on the ground, picks it up and starts smoking it as he walks off down the street. Nice!

But, there was just something about the place that made me think, you know, this place could be pretty nice if it got its act together. Kind of like Ranelagh, with a switchblade. And then I discovered all the different pockets to Inchicore and some of the really nice places you could live: the CIE works, Bulfin Estate, Woodfield Terrace, Tyrconnell Park. Unfortunately, this realisation hit a whole bunch of other people at the same time and house prices went through the roof.

Speaking for my own area, Bulfin Estate, it's just a very nice, quiet and pleasant place to live. It's at the end of the SCR, where it turns down to meet the N4, so it feels a little bit removed from the village itself and a bit closer to town. There's a nice mixture of older people - lots of them - and younger couples with very young kids.

There's a disproportionately low number of teenagers in the area and, unlike their more threatening compatriots in certain parts of Drimnagh or Crumlin, these kids are some weird, new strain of affluent working-class Dublin, worthy of further anthropogical study. The lads speak with only slightly inner city accents but the girls have a weird ScCoDu lilt and look and act far more Drummie than hoodie. Skateboarding seems to be catching on around here. Even some of the teenage lads that I've interacted with seem to be no more repugnant and loathsome than your average teenage guy from anywhere else. Never really had any trouble or seen anything untoward while I've been here.

There's a cosy sense of community around here. Not like your neighbours are popping round to borrow the sugar or anything but there's something that's difficult to articulate. But it's there.

Maybe it's to do with the bakery, butchers and shop at the end of the road. Apparently there's a cafe opening there now. Hmm... may just run down now and get some croissants and a roll and have a look.

Initially, when we were looking, we would have loved to have moved into one of the beautiful houses down by the CIE works, in an enclave there just off the main st. But, 2 years on, I've absolutely no regrets because the single biggest quality of life booster in that time has been the brilliant transport links we have here.

The number 19 terminus is a minute from my door, which brings you in by the South Circular, Camden and George's St. That leaves about 4 times an hour on off-peak periods. But, often, I'll walk about 4 minutes down the road onto South Circular and catch the 123 that goes in by Thomas St and Dame St and gets you into town in 15 minutes during quieter periods. That's actually more like 6 times an hour, off-peak.

Then, of course you can walk to the Luas in about 7 minutes, to get in to Jervis and Henry St. I can't stress enough what a difference this has made to me, knowing the next bus isn't too long to wait for and, if I don't want to, I can just jump on the Luas.

Driving-wise, I've had jobs in the city centre, Sandyford and recently, the Malahide Road, and all have been convenient for me to get to from here. Managed to make it to Sandyford Industrial Estate in just over 15 minutes one morning, without speeding. Coming back can be a pain, though, because of the choke point coming into Black Lion.

Inchicore village itself I'm not so qualified to talk about since I'm rarely down there. But it also seems to have come along really well. I've always liked Tyrconnell Road's leafy boulevard feel.

There's the Eurospar which - maybe I'm the only one who feels this - is the only convenience store I've ever been in where my I'm-getting-ripped-off hackles aren't immediately raised. (I can't say the same for the Spar at the corner of my road, though, which is one of the most absurdly expensive I've ever been in)

That nice looking pharmacy. The new retail spaces opening up - there's a new Indian after going in behind the Xtravision. And, of course, the legendary Enoteca Torino. Which, to my mind, was the best Italian restaurant in Dublin - back in the days when Luca used to manage it and they had Italian and Irish waiting staff who would sit at your table and explain the pastas. It's still good but, it's definitely dropped from the transcendant height it used to inhabit in my internal restaurant pecking order. Eastern Europeans just don't seem to get genuine customer service.

As for up-and-coming. Oddly enough, I had an estate agent out the other day to value the house for the purposes of switching mortgage. I was expecting that the house would have dropped at least 15% to 20% in value from when I bought it, given that I bought right at the height. But she was telling me that D8 has actually been one of the few areas that's relatively held up in value. Her main stomping grounds are within the canals and she said that Ranelagh, Rathmines and D4 are being murdered with drops of up to 30%. But that stuff was staying relatively stable here.

The valuation she gave me was only 2% to 5% off what I bought at, which was actually good news.

Which is the real test of how nice it is to live here. I could be here for a while, the way the market is looking, and I'm perfectly content. Which is not something you could say for some other more far-flung areas.

I'm not familiar with all of the apartment developments in the area but, if I were you, I'd probably stick to the ones down near the Eurospar, rather than up near Oblates, unless access to the Luas is a priority. That side of town feels strangely dead to me for some reason.

So, sorry if this reads like some insufferably smug love letter to Inchicore but I'm just telling it like it is. If it turns crap any time soon, I'll come back and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Listen, yew bleedin poshies should stick to yer liffey deefour suberbs and you couvosier and smoked bleedin salmon on rye with balasmic vinegar! keep dat muck in renelea and ye can keep tha gobshi dunphy n all...

Stay out "de core" or I'll bleedin kill ye, with me killer tropical fish, rih!

piranah2.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I lived in two different places at different ends of this area for about 6 years, first (3yrs) at the Bulfin Road end of the SCR and then I moved to Abercorn Square near the railway works for 3 yrs (road opposite new italian which wasn't there when I was, I hear it's brilliant :D ). I have to say I never had any problems and I loved living in each place, I still have a soft spot for the area. Inchicore seems to have improved in the 4 years since I left, new shops and Eurospar in the village, etc.. nicer vibe. It was a good bit more run down when I was there, but I found the people nice and I wouldn't mind moving back. Hope that helps! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BuzzyBeebo

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone would like to add anything more nice about Inchicore. I have an offer in on a house in the Bulfin Estate and from the last couple of posts in 2008 it seemed to get good reviews. Please give me any updates on the area.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Bulfin estate,imo,is a great place to live.Grew up in the area and now live in an apt on Emmet road which I would gladly swap for a house in Bulfin estate.....if I could find somebody else stupid enough to own an apt in this country :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

BuzzyBeebo wrote: »
    Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone would like to add anything more nice about Inchicore. I have an offer in on a house in the Bulfin Estate and from the last couple of posts in 2008 it seemed to get good reviews. Please give me any updates on the area.

Thanks
    I've been living in Inchicore for over 20 years. I'm lucky enough to live in the CIE Estate :p. There are a lot of house for sale in Bulfin at the moment. There is a Corporation housing scheme on Emmet Road opposite Inchicore VEC which is home to some undesirables including some very well-known Dublin criminals! There have been quite a few break-ins in Bulfin and the finger has been pointed at this estate. Myself and my partner rented a house in Bulfin years ago but left after two years because we were broken into three times and totally cleaned out (despite alarm!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hi there

Thanks

We live in the Bulfin estate, and we love it. Wouldn't change it for the world - I think Vok said it all in his post. Some parts look a little nicer than others. But I find it great to live so near town and still have a great back garden and a village feel. Cannot see myself moving out!

And talking about break-ins. My PIL's house has been broken into 3 times, and our car was broken into outside their house. And they live in Killiney. Touch wood we've been grand in Inchicore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BuzzyBeebo

Thanks for all the comments so far! Really appreciated. There is much positive it seems but also appreciate the warning. I have to say I am the same re: break ins, my current place got broken into in Portobello while were all in bed asleep, and our tv and video were stolen and I would not consider this a bad area. It seems it could happen anywhere in Dublin. If anyone else has anything to add I'd love to hear it. I am not familiar with the corporation houses, is this St. Michaels or a different place? I have noticed any on Emmet Road before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks for all the comments so far! Really appreciated. There is much positive it seems but also appreciate the warning. I have to say I am the same re: break ins, my current place got broken into in Portobello while were all in bed asleep, and our tv and video were stolen and I would not consider this a bad area. It seems it could happen anywhere in Dublin. If anyone else has anything to add I'd love to hear it. I am not familiar with the corporation houses, is this St. Michaels or a different place? I have noticed any on Emmet Road before?

No, St. Michaels Estate has been partly demolished and many of the residents moved to new housing within the grounds of Goldenbridge Convent. The houses on Emmet Road are directly opposite the back of Inchicore VEC close to O'Donoghues pub. It's not a new development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dazberry wrote: »
    I don't mean to be playing devils advocate - but why so? When I'm going to work I see lots of kids being brought to school (walking - so they obviously live nearby) - is there something their parents don't know that you do?

Would you live in any area based on the single proviso that children are being brought up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

stovelid wrote: »
    Would you live in any area based on the single proviso that children are being brought up there?

You're asking for an answer to a statement that was made two years ago! :eek:

You're asking for an answer to a statement that was made two years ago! :eek:

:o

... erm, well no I wouldn't have a single proviso, nor one based on children being brought up here, it was just a comment to the prior message that said Inchicore isn't a place to bring up children and I was just asking why the poster thought so.

Having said that myself and the gf are planning to start looking next year, and the Bulfin area is one of the areas that is in the frame. I really like the area but a lot of the houses (for sale) are in poor condition, and the nicer ones seem to be over priced.

D.

You answered. :)

You answered. :)

You asked. ;)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭seanjmc

Hi all, just started a podcast set in Inchicore, is this the right place to post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Advertisement