Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word Count

Options
  • 03-03-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know, if you hand in an assignment thats limited to say 2500 words, they just get a hard copy, no emailing.
    will they actually hand count the words?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Susipoo

rule of thumb - no. They're human too :) Generally I've been advised to have it so close they won't notice, but it's no harm to run it by the lecturer...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

the count is 2500. i have 4000! i know know! miles over!! its 16 pages and the last project i did was 14 and was the same. so not much in the difference. ya think the lecturer would notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

in a word...yes!!
    There is a big difference between 2500 and 4000!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i know but in page difference theres only two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Still, you should try to cut out 1000 or so words, but make sure everything makes sense afterwards (I know, sounds silly, but it happens), that is one of the reasons I hate doing big essays and reports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Email the lecturer telling them that you've only just realised that your assignment comes out at 4000 words. Apologise and then ask would it be ok to hand it up with 4000 words or would they prefer if you cut it down. You never know the lecturer might not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

When I was in college a few people lost marks for going over on the word count, you need to be concise.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

yes, easy to pick an average line, count the words then count lines per page and multiply by number of pages. There is a limit for a reason! I know lecturers who would reduce marks per 100 words over..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

In fairness, it might seem a bit obvious, but there is a word count for a reason. But when my dad was doing an openuniversity diploma, he was generally allowed +/- 10% of the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yea I think it's usually a 10% leeway either way, any more than that shouldn't really be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Really depends on your course, you need to check it out.

IN my course if you hand anything in over, you are asked to resubmit and get docked 20% of your marks, you also have to submit a statement of wordcount with everything.

You also need to bear in mind, if you're in a class with 40 others and they all hand in there assignments within the word count, whilst you may have only given in a hard copy, when they're correcting a lot of them they'll notice that yours takes longer to read.

Advertisement