Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom Go 720

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice if possible.

I want to get a Sat Nav and a couple of people I know have recommended the Tom Tom Go 720. Seemingly It can also be used as a hands free kit for my phone and the updating of maps is quite cheap.

I know nothing about these systems and was wondering is it worth it. I really only need the sat nav for Europe if thats of any help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tom Tom use Tele Atlas maps, Garmin uses Navteq. By all accounts (on this forum at least) the Navteq maps are better for Ireland than Tele Atlas, also people have not been happy with the 'support' from Tom Tom which typically boils down to 'take it or leave it'. In the case of Garmin your e-mail queries get routed to people in the UK and you'll get to correspond with a real person though the response in their case is usually to tell you that they're considering putting what you're looking for in a future upgrade.

With Garmin the Nuvi 250 has maps for all of Europe but very little else; like all the Garmin Nuvis it has full routing and voice direction capability but cannot store routes and will not play MP3 files or integrate with your Bluetooth phone. Nevertheless it's the unit I use and I'm very happy with it, its reasonably compact for carrrying around in my pocket (but doesn't come with a case) and there's no flipup antenna.

The Garmin website allows you to click on up to 5 units and compare their features side by side...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I sell a lot of these on a daily basis. Both Garmin and Tom Tom have their advantages. In my opinion Garmin are the best. It is easy to download maps for them, so too are Tom Tom. Tom Tom on their 720 model also have a hard drive, it would be useful for music or whatever.

I find Garmin to be more user friendly and they are cheaper than TomTom. As the poster above said, the nuvi 250 does not have the function to connect to your mobile via bluetooth.

If you want bluetooth, go for the TomTom. Just on a question of my own, if the OP were to buy the 520 model, would they be able to upgrade the maps on it to the maps of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

I have used both TomTom and Garmin for travel both in Ireland and Europe.

I find TomTom wins overall. For example it allows for route calculation if you're planning to visit places for example. Simple feature and very useful. With Garmin you have to disable gps reception to plan routes, and then turn them back on to get there. Also TomTom informs you of tolled highways and congestion charge areas... again I find indispensible if you do a lot of travelling.

I'm planning on getting a 520 now, and possibly upgrading to Euro maps whenever I need them.

Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just one more question. Is the bluetooth function on either Garmin or TomTom O.K. or should I get a seperate hands free kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

leincar wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Just one more question. Is the bluetooth function on either Garmin or TomTom O.K. or should I get a seperate hands free kit?
    I purchased a TT720 from dabs.ie at Christmas. The maps were ok in Dublin, but not so great off the main roads - I'm sure future updates will improve this.
    However - I had a serious issue with the sound quality when making calls with various phones - see this link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211067

Overall I though the TT had a great interface and was very "configureable", but the bluetooth quality made it unusable for me, so I attempted to return it to dabs in the first week of January. I finally got my money back from dabs about a week ago... but that's a different story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

All,

I am so tired for complementing Tom Tom for the 720. For an all in one device its very good. Bluetooth phone setup is good, sound at the other end is poor (needs ext mic), Very limited phones work with text messages or even data, had to change my phone but when it works it works well. calls are not on FM transmit though, probably to do with feed back on internal mike. MP3 works well (sound lowish though but improved with a recent update). Screen v good and user base and forum support (not tom tom suport) very good. Great device. But unfortunately the tele atlas map is so bad that I advise you to get a AA Road map. Youll be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Hi all,

Just a follow up. I got the Tomtom 720. Drove around Northern France and Belgium for the last 10 days. It worked a treat. Maps, bluetooth and mp3. No problems at all.

Advertisement