Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand load .22 magnum

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Folks, here is the question. I have a 22 WMR with a moderator but because its WMR its stll lets off a crack when fired which would scare every bunny into the next county when fired. is it possible to hand load .22 subsonic or will it do damage? or and i have asked can you get subsonic WMR.

Shouldnt have used the term hand load, ment use .22 subsonic in WMR rifle not using bolt or mag to load.

will use other thread next time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

might be one for the target shooting thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Are you talking about firing .22 Long Rifle subsonics in a .22 WMR rifle?

Here's some data:
    .22 Long Rifle:

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=126

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire:
    http://ammoguide.com/?catid=124

The LR case is .225" wide and the WMR case is .241" wide, and the rims are .276" and .291" respectively.
    The LR will probably chamber and fire in the WMR, but the case is very likely to split and be difficult to extract.
    There's a high probability of high pressure gasses blowing back past the poorly fitting case too, with obvious bad karma.
    None of this will hurt the WMR rifle, other than possible getting it dirtier than usual, as the pressures involved are well below those generated by the WMR ammunition.

I've heard tell of people cutting the rim off a used WMR case and using it as a sleeve to load LR rounds, but I obviously wouldn't be advocating such a course of action.

I've never come across or heard of subsonic WMR ammunition, I'm afraid.
    Realistically, you're probably looking at getting a fullbore moderator to make any significant difference to the noise generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭scuttlebutt

Thanks for that I wouldnt be up for cutting cases and that, but might look into the full bore moderator, would it be better than the SAK that i have which i presume is bog standard ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

scuttlebutt i have .22 mag also.
    The ammo your looking for is called WRF(win rim fire) as opposed to WMR(win mag rim)
    WRF is not really manufactured these days but some ammo factories knock out a run every now and again. The WRF gives about 1300ft/sec muz. vel.
    so not as much as a crack as the WMR which has a muz vel of about 1950 ft/sec...... If you have any luck finding them or you intend to try and get a dealer to import some into the country then give me a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hmmmm...

I see Winchester and CCI both supply WRF ammunition.

However, CCI make this statement:
    "DO NOT use 22 WRF ammo in firearms chambered for 22 Rimfire Magnum (22 WMR)."

Could be corporate ass-covering though, as my copy of Cartridges of the World (11th edition) states:
    "The 22 WRF can be safely fired in any gun chambered for the 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire."

Could be tough enough stuff to get hold of.

• Advertisement

This is good lads keep it comming its making very interesting reading. Will start looking for WRF Ammo and blog that goes with it as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Remember having one and thinking of doing this came to the conclusion that its not worth it.

No subsonic ammo available only option is .22lr subs in .22wmr casing (cut rim off and sleeved) never tried this though and dont imagine accuracy would be terrific. Think there was also a proper device on the web for doing this but costs alot.

Centrefire mod wont do much good as will still have crack and will cost a fortune (price of a good .22lr)

Options
    Buy a .22lr
    Buy a sako quad with .22lr and .22wmr or .17hmr barrels
    Buy a 17hmr and cut your losses and shot them from a distance and wont notice noise
    Keep using what you have

What i did i bought a CZ .17hmr rifle got on great with it and loved the accuracy but since going in to second year in col didnt have much time to shoot and with gf gun wasnt getting used ammo was also on the up so i sold that and now have a brno semi .22 which i love cheap as chips to shoot accurate fully modded with subs..

Moral of the story is everyman should have at least one .22lr and but not or a centrefire or magnum rim

-=EDIT=-
    .22wrf ammo will still be running at 1300fpr about 200fps more than speed of sound so you'll still have a crack so your back where you started also it may not accurate at all in your rifle so no good and ive yet to see it in ireland

Its not just the noise thats the prob. the 40 gn at 2000ft/sec(WMR) will rip the life out of any meat it hits,, the lower power of the (WRF) at the same 40 gn & 1300ft/sec will cause a lot less damage. Which is good if you like eating rabbits:D;)

Yep think its time to look again at my options, I have been offered if i want a 22 lr bruno but the bolts missing ( see other thread) but being asked silly money for replacment bolt. but with two rifles i wouldnt have this bother. Anyhow thanks everybody. I enjoy this Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,067 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its not just the noise thats the prob. the 40 gn at 2000ft/sec(WMR) will rip the life out of any meat it hits,, the lower power of the (WRF) at the same 40 gn & 1300ft/sec will cause a lot less damage. Which is good if you like eating rabbits:D;)
    Isn't the WRF round a higher grain?

• Advertisement

I thought they're the same or similar. I could be wrong(wouldnt be the first time i was wrong wont be the last) I never bought them, i only read about them.. i Say that they would have prob came in 40 and 50 grain as with the WMR.. maybe even a 30 in the WRF:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,067 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I just had a look at the Remington anf CCI pages, and they are both 45grain, so split the difference :D
    I thought they were higher due to the slower speed. Obviously thinking of something else

i sure that over the years they produced some different grain sizes.
    but fair play to you for looking it up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

.22wmr is what it is .22lrs big brother its louder and does more damage if you want .22 performance get a .22 thats all there is to it.

.22wmr is what it is .22lrs big brother its louder and does more damage if you want .22 performance get a .22 thats all there is to it.

No thinking outside the box then..... it does exactly what it say on the tin;)
    Heres how i see it...
    WMR was developed after the WRF.. The winchester round has nothing to do with the .22lr round.
    In the .22 winchester ammo the WRF was the little bro. and was out sold by the bigger bro. the WMA There was no need for the WRF as the high velocity rounds from the .22lr were doing the same job.. The only advantage to the .22mag hunter in having a pocket full of WRF's is the reduction in power that is afforded to the hunter in making his kill with minimum disturbance to other game/prey or the meat of which he wishes to eat.
    The .22lr gives ranges from about 900ft/sec up to about 1300ft/sec
    The .22win mag gives ranges from 1300ft/sec to 2000 ft/sec
    To sum up:- The two weapons both provide shooting at 1300ft/sec the lr services the lower power needs and has the advantage of near silence(good for a low profile) and reduced flesh damage.
    The win mag services the higher power requirements of the hunter and delivers more punch at the cost of noise,
    In terms of the cost of running gear the .22lr is about half the price of .22win mag

I'm open to comments on this AND THATS THAT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Simple,stick it in the deep freeze for appx 6months!It is corny,and crazy but it works!!It isan old US poacher trick,when owning a silencer is just too much a problem.
    The trick of using 22lrs in a 22Wm comes from the old cowboy action shooters.It does work all right,if you dont expect sub MOA accruacy from them they are fine.If you are using them I would recommend shooting glasses as the 22LR can rupture,and back fire hot gasses thru the bolt/breechface gap.Not too bad in a revolver,unpleasent in a rifle.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Like it a lot, but i think i will let you give it a go, post a video link..sorry only messing. Anyhow sorted out now, was able to locate a bolt from a decommisioned rifle so i can now use the .22 lr i was given, heres another thing a fancied a new stock for WMR and was the Wild Dog site in uk and he wont deal direct in southern Ireland only in NI, presume this is because of our licencing laws ? he said i can get my Firearms dealer to contact him. Crazy really you can by scopes direct but not a stock

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As far as I know, since a stock isn't part of the working mechanism of the rifle, you don't need any paperwork or anything to bring one in.

Advertisement