Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost: Via Domus

Options
  • 02-03-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to be playing this game? I'm installing it at the moment and can't wait tbh. I've heard there is a fairly large reveal in it that will expand the main storyline of the show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Looks cool. What size is the install?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I might get this during the week. Hopefully it will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sherifu wrote: »
    Looks cool. What size is the install?

The folder in program files is 4.4GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Wouldn't mind hearing what the reveal is, in spoiler tags of course! I don't have the cash or the time to play at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Just finished it about an hour ago, im still confused

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The folder in program files is 4.4GB
    Not too bad.
    Nice. They appear to have given Jack grey hair?

well I played a few hours of it there last night and I don't really know what to make of it. It's like a very elaborate clip show of sorts. Personally I like clip shows, as its a nice refresher to remind you of things that have happened in the past.

This is NOT a game for anyone who has not watched the series, don't be expecting something like Tomb Raider set in the Lost Universe. You basically just run from one place to the next, talking to Losties and trying to figure out who you are. Its kind of set in between the episodes from the series. Like you enter a cave that Micheal is outside of and find a dead polar bear that has stabs marks in its paw and chin, this is from the episode where Micheal fended off the polar bear in season 1 to save Walt (note: in the game there is no mention as to why the polar bear is dead, nor are you told by Micheal that he killed the bear, it is merely thrown in for fans of the show to recognise)

There are a lot of other things like this in the game that will make it entertaining for those who have been following the show very closely, but are not integral to the main plot so aren't elaborated on, you will either recognise them or be confused by them, the losties are being their typical self and will give you as little help as possible and seem to continually speak in riddles when being asked the simplest of questions.

My only real gripe is that they didn't use the original cast for the voice acting, it would of been nice to hear Sawyer coming up with nicknames for me in his real voice or Hurley saying "Dude!!!" like he should.

Aside from this i'm enjoying the game, I started playing it at around 9pm yesterday and ended up turning it off at 2am... which is surprising as graphically its nothing new and the gameplay is non existant. For an avid lost fan though, its very entertaining.

Just in case anyone is wondering here is what happens at the end of the game
    First off, the main character is a man named Elliot Maslow who is a survivor of Oceanic 815 not seen in the show. After the plane crash he loses his memory and through a series of flashbacks he learns that he was indirectly responsible for the death of his ex-girlfriend, Lisa Gelhorn.

Anyway, at the end of the game Elliot finds a boat and begins to sail away from the island (Juliet having told him the direction in which he should head). As he sails away a voice comes over the boats radio shouting ‘Mayday! Mayday!’. Elliot looks up and sees a large plane heading straight for the island, it looks like it’s in trouble. The plane begins to break apart, both the cockpit and the tail section are torn off the plane.

The scene changes and we see someone’s eye opening (classic Lost). It’s Elliot and he is on the beach in the middle of the wreckage of a crashed plane, there is lots of screaming and other noises. Someone shouts his name and comes running towards him, it’s Lisa, his dead ex-girlfriend. She reaches Elliot and says ‘Oh my God, Elliot, we survived!’. Then the game ends.

Pretty cool Aldebaran.

• Advertisement

Pretty cool Aldebaran.

why would you read that? I thought you where looking to play the game. Reading the ending just ruins it.

Call it a moment of weakness. :D I can still play it, no harm done. I'll just do my goldfish memory trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Call it a moment of weakness. :D I can still play it, no harm done. I'll just do my goldfish memory trick.

Goldfish memory trick? Don't you mean:
    Faraday memory trick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I picked up on Friday.... but found it horrible to play and brought it back yesterday to exchange for something else.

It's a 5 gig mandatory install on the PS3 by the way... how nuts is that?

It's kind of neat walking about the crash site and exploring the hatch... but over all the game isn't fun in anyway to actually play... it's just an exercise in frustration.

Exploring the locations from the show is the best thing about it, so a bit more freedom in the game would have made it a lot more enjoyable, but you're very much constrained.

I found the conversations with the main characters to be really dull and for the most part pointless. The trading system was kind of neat though. Actually a gameplay mechanic, similar to that found in the Lost in Blue but with trappings from the Lost TV series put in, would have been a much better direction to take the game in. The game should have been about the struggle to survive on the Island along with the mysteries to be solved.

There's lots of stupid things in it too... like how unpopulated the beach is... Jack is standing at the edge of the forest at one point not letting anyone through as it's too dangerous and he wants everyone to stay at the crash site... but there's only like you and 2 other people on the beach.

There's lots of stupid things in it too... like how unpopulated the beach is... Jack is standing at the edge of the forest at one point not letting anyone through as it's too dangerous and he wants everyone to stay at the crash site... but there's only like you and 2 other people on the beach.

yeah I thought that bit was stupid also... not just because the beach was unpopulated but because how could he be stopping people from entering the forest when forests DONT HAVE ENTRANCES.

Aside from this, i'm liking it although I do agree with Monkeyfudge, there are far better games out there to waste your money on. But then this is the reason I posted this in the Lost forum and not the gaming forum. The only people who will enjoy this game will be Lost fans as it offers next to nothing to keep gamers interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well I bought it because I am a Lost fan and thought I would get a large amount of enjoyment from it, even if it was a flawed game... but it just didn't deliver enough in gameplay terms and the character interaction and the interaction with the island just wasn't enough for the Lost fan in me.

And sheesh... how many times do you have to fix a fuse box in it?

I just want to know where they found the guy to do Charlie's voice, it's horrendous!

I would have liked it if your character had more of an involvement with more of the events from the show. You're out wandering in the jungle for about five minutes just after the plane crash and you come back to the beach and Jin, Michael, Walt and Sawyer are gone off on the raft! Didn't even say goodbye or ask for help in building it! I would have built a kickass raft... with blackjack and hookers... in fact, forget the blackjack and the raft!

just finished it and I laughed, because even though I knew it was lost I really wasn't expecting such a "W... T... F...!" moment. Still don't really know what to make of that ending.

just finished it and I laughed, because even though I knew it was lost I really wasn't expecting such a "W... T... F...!" moment. Still don't really know what to make of that ending.

It was one of Lost's biggest ever WTF!? moments and it wasn't even in the show! How much input did the writers have into the game do you know? Cos I'm starting to think that the game's ending won't have anything to do with the show

Aldebaran wrote: »
    How much input did the writers have into the game do you know? Cos I'm starting to think that the game's ending won't have anything to do with the show

Well the writers have officially said the games story is not in canon (although I guess we knew that) but that doesn't mean that ending isn't. One of the lost writers actually approved that ending so it must tie in somehow with the island. Also the games ending does seem to fit the questions raised in the new Orchid video online, which is in canon.

My guess on the ending is
    that as he was leaving the island Desmond blew the hatch just as Elliot was at the point of passing the time rift between the island and the outside world, both in the boat and in the plane overhead, this explosion caused his consciousness to jump timeline back onto the plane. In regard to why Lisa is still alive, as its a different timeline, maybe its one where Elliot made the decision to not sell out Lisa and instead work alongside her, the seat of Kavos henchman would now be occupied by Lisa. Also, imo, this would explain why the losties have hallucinations of dead people being alive on the island, or why the hut that Locke is looking for is in different locations, maybe the island is in a constant state of flux and people who would be on the island in different timelines momentarily appear and dissapear (i.e. in another timeline Jacks dad didn't die but was alive on the plane, surivived the crash and became Jacob)

• Advertisement

Hmmm, very interesting.

So what you're saying is that
    the island is a sort of junction for a number of differant timelines, they all meet and are in existance at the same time on the island but only certain people can see certain timelines e.g. Jack is able to see his father. So when Elliot was leaving the island he crossed over into another timeline where Lisa was still alive.

This might explain some other things in the show, like the problem of babies concieved on-island dying, maybe its because they don't have their own timeline and it is possible for them to exist without one.

It could also explain why Locke was able to walk again after the crash, perhaps he jumped into another timeline where he was never paralysed?

And maybe it's possible to leave the island on a differant timeline than the one you entered on, could explain why Jack's father may be alive in Jack's flashforward. Maybe none of the flashforwards we are seeing are connected at all, each one could be on a differant timeline. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Or maybe I'm just crazy.

when it comes to time travel nothing is crazy

Also, i'd watch the "Orchid Orientation" video, it makes more sense after playing the game.

He speaks of the islands properties giving it a "Casimir effect" which you can find details on here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished it tonight, and I'm scratching my head. Seriously.

Worth a rental for a few days, but don't buy it.

Mr E wrote: »
    Finished it tonight, and I'm scratching my head. Seriously.

Worth a rental for a few days, but don't buy it.

did you read the spoilered parts of this thread. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on them. The ending makes more sense if you watch the Orchid orientation video above. Plus with what we know about the island now and what happened to Desmond it makes more sense. Plus it would explain why babies can't be born on the island.

Advertisement