Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabriels's Oboe avec lyrics

Options
  • 02-03-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

This is beginning to anny me: a few times on classic fm tv, I've seen/heard a lyrical/operatic version of Gabriel's Oboe, from The Mission, but can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone tell me who sings it (thought it was Bocelli, but apparently not)?

Many thanks,

P.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

It's called "Nella Fantasia", and that's fan-ta-SEE-yah, not fan-TAY-zha as so many people incorrectly say. I don't know anything else about it except its name as I've accompanied it at weddings and such. Hope that's some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's the one, thank you!! No wonder I couldn't find it on itunes....!

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I have a version of Il Divo singing it, could be them you've heard.

I don't have sound, so I don't know what the quality is like on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956O67HaCWY

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I have a version of Il Divo singing it, could be them you've heard.

I don't have sound, so I don't know what the quality is like on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956O67HaCWY

I was the Icelandic guy. gardar Thor Cortes (sp?) but I think I've hearsd the Il Divo version as well.

You're welcome, glad you found it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Doshea3 wrote: »
    It's called "Nella Fantasia", and that's fan-ta-SEE-yah, not fan-TAY-zha as so many people incorrectly say. I don't know anything else about it except its name as I've accompanied it at weddings and such. Hope that's some help.

To be even more picky, I think it's fan-ta-ZEE-ah, no? :D

With your best Italian accent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Do many people like this piece? *serious question*!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

As film music goes, it's alright I guess. Haven't heard the version with lyrics and I'm pretty sure I don't want to... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Personally, I would say its more than alright. Ennio at his finest.

With lyrics...well I'm not a fan of doing things like that, but it sounds pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

The vards do a version of it.

Aside from the beautiful music the lyrics are also strong (though much, muc h more profound in italian than english!). e.g.

'jo vedo in mondo chiaro' is much more attractive than 'I live in a world of kindness'! But that would explain why Opera is sung in the native!

Opera translated into English is sometimes the worst thing ever. Especially if it's a very "creative" translation. "Magic Flute" in English just sounds like a load of bollocks.

Advertisement