Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Truth Wants more Reithian Values

Options
  • 02-03-2008 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Eamon Ryan is become a more hateful figure by the day, its not online due to stupid Sunday Times website but the front page carries a story suggesting that RTE carry more current affairs and similairly improving material during prime time hours.

As if Q&A, Prime Time X2, 30 mins of news at 9 every night was not quite enough. He also wants Dail TV with Goings On From the Council Chambers around the state. Yep it'll fill a channel on the DTT platform.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

It would be better than whats on it at the moment.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

come back Trevor Sargeant all is forgiven ryan and gormley make my skin crawl with the pios eco bull**** its like some new out of control religion:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

You might not like it, Mike, but in fairness, if a state broadcaster is going to be funded by the public then it should have to broadcast more of the kind of stuff that isn't ratings friendly; otherwise it's simply not fair on the broadcaster who doesn't get this money - in our case TV3.

Now - let me be the first to say; I've no sodding interest in wall to wall worthy documentaries, endless John Kelly presented pretentious programmes about the wonders of Urdu throat music, and cartoons in Serbo-Croat, but by the same token, it's not right that we laugh at TV3 for their shoddy attempts to do 'news' and 'documentaries' when we consider that RTE can only make things look (slightly more) professional due to the massive slush fund they have at their disposal. Which of course drives advertising revenue. Which enables them to buy the likes of Prison Break/Desparate Housewives/Lost.

Of course, you might well point out that the BBC does it. Well, quite. And whilst a billion flies may eat excrement, that does not, as such, ennoble the practise.

The situation in the UK is that ITV constantly (and rightly in my opinion) berates the BBC for blatant ratings chasing; with License fee money, a broadcaster should be doing/making/showing the kind of stuff that commercial TV wouldn't show/make/do in a heartbeat.

Now, if of course the net result of RTE being forced to 'do' worthy programming, is that nobody watches them, then fine. Get rid of the license fee, or just cut it so that they can operate, say, a decent news/current affairs/documentary service to cover the public service obligation but that any revenue that comes in from those advertising slots has to stay within that part of the organisation and can't be used to buy *another* series of ER.

I'm not, like i say, agreeing with the Reithian pronouncements of Eamonn Ryan, per se, but I would be in favour of there being some means of preventing a state broadcaster having to race to the bottom to get viewers and if the license fee allows a level of that, so be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

mike65 wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan is become a more hateful figure by the day, its not online due to stupid Sunday Times website but the front page carries a story suggesting that RTE carry more current affairs and similairly improving material during prime time hours.
    QUOTE]

I think Id prefer that to soaps and ten year old repeats of Friends (which wasnt funny the first time round) and The Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I agree with the minister. More home made does not mean all imported shows would be gone. I think TV3 should be forced to make some programming too. What they have now is far too limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I agree with the minister. More home made does not mean all imported shows would be gone. I think TV3 should be forced to make some programming too. What they have now is far too limited.

Oh come on Xposé is a quality show that showcases everything that is good and positive about the new ireland.........to be honest if this is the best they can do, leave them alone, no need to increase their carbon foot print by making anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I don't agree with the minister on this one at all. RTE are paid by us and so therefore should show what we want to watch.
    I have seen in recent times them not going after some programs for example Heroes, TV3is a horrible alternative to RTE, but i still watch the shows they produce. The Criminal Assets program is good, but still TV3 always will contain an element of Tabloid Journalism about everything they do.

Does this mean TG4 will stop showing movies and some of its American prime time shows?

If the state broadcaster is stopped showing all of these it will mean we wont get half of the American shows at all. As TV3 won't have enough time in the week.

Advertisement