Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well latest episode they actually bothered to answer something, although they denied it had anything to do with that well beforehand.

TBH I kind of half gave up on the show. There is only so much "wtf is going on" someone can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This season has been better quality. Some info on the island workings at last. Could do with more stuff being revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I hate it this season. I am completely fed up of the show, it is totally insulting to its fans the way it's dragging things on :( However I have to keep watching it :( ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ How is it insulting to its fans?! :confused: I'm a fan of the show, and though I would be critical of it if there was a bad episode (and there has been), I think this season has been fairly consistent, we've got a few answers and more 'sort-of-answers' where we can make educated guesses on some of the past-season myseteries. The flashforwards have added a new element to the show, as has guessing who gets off the island and who doesn't (we find this out pretty soon).

I also liked mid-season 3 onwards. Season 2 had some great episodes but also some of the worst. Season 1 was flawless.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings for season 4 are nearly as high as season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why are people interested in the US ratings? Lost's ratings will never go down to the extent that the show might be pulled. It's very safe. I couldn't give a toss what American viewers are watching. These are the same people who caused Family Guy to be cancelled in its original run and who regularly tune in to The Simpsons when that show jumped the shark years ago. American Idol has been the top rated show in the US for years now. Ratings schmatings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I couldn't give a toss what American viewers are watching. These are the same people who caused Family Guy to be cancelled in its original run and who regularly tune in to The Simpsons when that show jumped the shark years ago.
    It's the fact that they've cancelled good shows, as you point out, that has people wondering about the US ratings. I do believe 'Lost' is perfectly safe though as it has a dedicated core audience who, like it or loathe it, are there to the sweet/bitter end.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The deal with lost is already signed sealed and delivered for it to end after its 6th season so its not very likely to get cancelled when the networks have put that much faith in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i know sometimes ratings are crap and have nothing to do with the how good the show is, but they did go down last year, they admitted themsevles last year the show began to wander, and be hurt from scheduling, so its nothing to do with the viewers intellect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

I was hooked for the 1st series (how long ago was that now, 2004?), but then gave up around 4 episodes into the 2nd series when they announced they were gonna drag it out for 6 or 7 series. I'd have a lot more respect for the show if they finished everything up in the 2nd series and let it go down in cult history. But no! the hollywood execs have to make their millions somehow..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The trouble with a storyline spanning many seasons is that it makes the show inaccessible to new viewers. For all the viewers that lose interest in Lost, there aren't as many new fans being introduced to the show. So for that reason, I don't expect the Lost ratings to ever increase to the levels they used to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd have a lot more respect for the show if they finished everything up in the 2nd series and let it go down in cult history. But no! the hollywood execs have to make their millions somehow..

By season 2 its not a case of 'making millions'... at this stage the program would still be losing money.

The start-up costs of programs are so high in the States that up until recently it was the general rule that a program had to do 100 episodes (4 series) before it became a cash cow for the networks. 100 was also the minimum amount of episodes that the syndication channels (the USA equivalent of UK Gold,Granada+,Channel6 etc) would normally accept.
    And the syndication channels have always been a major source of income for the networks.

So whilst a short sharp 2 season Lost would have been nice, it was never a realistic possibility.

Television sydication.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_syndication

100 episode rule.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_episodes

Advertisement