Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about Registering with the Teaching Council!!!

Options
  • 02-03-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    Im a currently studying to becoming a Geography teacher in London and i have decided that I want to return to Ireland to teach full time when im qualified. I have contacted the teaching council and they want lots of paper work but there is a back log and im wondering how long it would take to get registered if I started to send stuff to them now before im fully qualified?? Also can I,before i am registered, take a full time job teaching and get paid a full salary in Ireland:confused:?????

Relaly confused would love some help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i registered with the Teaching Council last month, and once i sent in my stuff, it took them about 2 weeks to get back to me and everything was sorted. it's the DES that is slow about recognising your registration when it comes to the difference in your salary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lolly243

Did you get a qualification outside of Ireland? Im currently studying in London so I think it might take them longer to recognise this PGCE quaification. What are the most important things to send them for example im so worried about jobs and not getting any subbing when i come back!!!

i studied in maynooth, but as far as im aware the PGDE and the PGCE are supposed to be recognised as the same thing....or so i was led to believe!!
    in that way, i think the Teaching Council shouldn't have a problem processing the application, as you still have to send off you're transcripts etc.

also, i wouldn't worry too much about being registered when applying for jobs. i only registered with them after i was hired, and i know of many teachers who have not yet registered. schools are more concerned with your garda vetting clearance than with Teaching Council registration.

Sorry for being a pain but when you refer to your transcripts what exactly do they include?? I havelt graduated from my PGCE so i dont have acertificate yet

no problem!
    by transcripts i mean your results from degrees/masters and PGCE, when you get it. Im really not sure if you can apply to the Teaching Council until you're qualified, but again don't worry too much with regards to getting a job, but it does make a difference to your pay!

best of luck with the rest of the year!

• Advertisement

:) You are a star thank you feel much better now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Can you register with teaching council after you finish your hDip? As in - I qualified last year but haven't been working as a secondary teacher - dont have a years experience

any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Is it possible to register with the Teaching Council if I'm not qualified yet? I'm currently pursuing the H.Dip.Ed. for Primary Teaching and would like to get subbing work in June, but if I'm not registered, does that mean I can't sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

To be honest, the teaching council seems to be the only ones who can answer most of these queries, most teachers are confused by the whole thing yet are unwilling to ring up and ask, the experts are the teaching council and apparently they are good at answering the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

funktastic wrote: »
    Can you register with teaching council after you finish your hDip? As in - I qualified last year but haven't been working as a secondary teacher - dont have a years experience

any ideas??

I don't see why not, essentially you are a teacher that is not employed in teaching, that doesn't make you any less qualified.

Also one of the reasons teachers have to register is that if you are not registered with the TC, there is no obligation to pay you out of state funds, ie you won't get paid. So if you are planning on going teaching, you're probably better off registering.

From the website:

3. Teachers qualified in Ireland
    If you are a primary or post-primary school teacher who in Ireland and you wish to teach in a recognised school* in Ireland, you can apply for registration under section 31 (5) of the Teaching Council Act 2001. Further information and the relevant application forms are available by clicking on the "Application Forms" link to the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is it possible to register with the Teaching Council if I'm not qualified yet? I'm currently pursuing the H.Dip.Ed. for Primary Teaching and would like to get subbing work in June, but if I'm not registered, does that mean I can't sub?

From my understanding you can't register if you are not qualified. Having said that the main reason that teachers need to register is that if they are not registered there is no obligation to pay them, but this will only be enforced when the Teaching Councils Act becomes legal. This hasn't happened yet. Sounds like you're in the middle of the HDip at the moment, I'm guessing that if you have final exams in May you probably won't get a transcript of your results until at least July anyway, and you need the transcript to register. So you probably can't register until then. If the Act isn't enforced by June, there would be nothing to stop you getting subbing work.

The other can of worms that hasn't been cleared up yet (when the act goes through), is what happens when a principal has to fill a job with an unqualified teacher because there isn't a qualified one available? Do they get paid despite being unqualified, although regulations state they can't be?

Advertisement