Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen StreetPilot c550

Options
  • 02-03-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all. Our SP was stolen from our car last night, parked outside while we were in the Irish Blog Awards. Its serial number is 119047253. Just saying....and hoping. I know we'll probably never see it again, but we can cling to a sliver, yes? And no, it wasn't PIN locked, and yes, we did have Home set on it as our house. So yes, the house alarm will rarely be off now.

E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

ekehoe wrote: »
    Hi all. Our SP was stolen from our car last night, parked outside while we were in the Irish Blog Awards. Its serial number is 119047253. Just saying....and hoping. I know we'll probably never see it again, but we can cling to a sliver, yes? And no, it wasn't PIN locked, and yes, we did have Home set on it as our house. So yes, the house alarm will rarely be off now.

E

Can you contact the company & ask if it can be tracked? I think it has to be registered first though & if it can be tracked then it can be found. There would be a fee though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Can you contact the company & ask if it can be tracked? I think it has to be registered first though & if it can be tracked then it can be found. There would be a fee though.

I just got an email back from them, after informing them it was stolen. I don't think that they can track it (from much googling, one person said basically "It's a receiver, not a sender.") It has been registered with them tho. I'll ask, regardless. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It definitely can not be tracked because it is a receiver like a regular radio, the only way you will find it is if someone buys it from the thief and then registers it with Garmin in which case (if Garmin is prepared to pass on the contact data to you) it may be possible to find who is in possession of it, probably some idiot who bought it from a 'friend of a friend' who was upgrading to a different model - the usual cover story for people selling stolen goods.

But to put this into perspective and set your expectations to reasonable levels, the mobile phone network operators in the UK for years refused to accept the IMEI numbers of stolen mobile phones in order that a stolen mobile couldn't be used with a new SIMM. Eventually after a few school children died after being mugged for their mobile phones they caved in and now they will block a mobile phone handset if the user reports it as having been stolen. Garmin can't block a stolen GPS unit from being used but if they accept that your unit was stolen (and not mislaid) then they just might let you know if someone does eventually register the unit for an upgrade.

I had a Nuvi 300 and foolishly left the windscreen mount in place one night so a thief smashed the drivers window and found the GPS unit in the glove box so he (she?, probably not) also removed the windscreen mounting. Of course I didn't have it protected with a PIN, I do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

My biggest hope is that the jerk who did this gave it to his mother for Mother's Day, and that she'll send it in for an upgrade or whatever. Then Garmin says "Er, no, stolen." And she beats the crap out of him.

Yes, I know, but it's my fantasy, and I'm going to believe it happened :-)

Advertisement