Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing Swimming Stamina

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Learned to swim between September and December and I'm reasonably happy with my technique (for a relative beginner). I can breathe easily enough during front crawl etc. I can do about 10-15 laps (sounds like nothing but I couldn't even swim across the pool when I started) but I'm not able to extend that. Is there any way to improve my stamina or is it just a matter of keeping at it and hoping my stamina increases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

how is your fitness generally, for example can you run a marathon but only swim 15 lengths or is it your general cardiovascular fitness that is limiting your swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Hi Green H,

Fair play for learning to swim and sticking with it.

It is one of those type of questions that is hard to answer without knowing you/seeing you swim. Here's some musings/questions:

Quality versus speed - is it possible you're wimming too hard and getting tired quickly? I remember I had this problem when I tried to pick up swimming after a long time away from it.

Execution - Are you doing all your lengths in one go? maybe break them up into chunks and take a break in between. Start going longer as you get better. bring a bottle of water to sip on.

Where is getting tired? Describe what you're feeling when you hit your "wall".

Are you practising alone - is there anyone you can get to check out your swimming? Perhaps a Masters swim or some private coaching?

I'm sure the other swimmers might have a few tips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Thats usually about where I start to ache and pain in my warmup. Every muscle is burning and I'm struggling for breath. Heartrate usually hits the 160-180 mark between lengths 8-16, I find those the toughest. I usually swim 2x200m warmup, (16 lengths of 25m pool). Then I take a minute rest at least, while I stretch my arms, legs and back a little. After that I feel much fresher and have been able to swim a further 120 lengths. But I have been swimming for 18 years and much of that has been proper training.

Its hard to say without seeing you swim, but it could be that warm-up wall that you just need to rest through and then push on. Do you normally structure your sessions or just get in and go until you're wrecked ?

To improve that distance, you will need structure, and rest times. Instead of going non-stop for 15 lengths, do 10 sets of 2 lengths, taking 15-30 seconds rest between each, check your pulse between these and post your maximum, I'll know more from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the reason I took up the swimming was to increase my fitness because although I used to play soccer a couple of times a week for many years I've not played for a long time now and felt I needed some excercise.

I go to the pool alone and that doesn't help either, especially when you see all these other people flying up and down the pool for the hour doing 40 or 50 lengths:o. Actually thats a bit of a downer.

I will try to structure it a bit better. Up until now I was just swimming a bit and then taking a break. I probably need to push on when I hit the wall rather than stop and take a break?

From the point of view of how I feel when I hit the wall, my legs feel heavy, my arms feel heavy and I feel out of breath. Must try to swim a little slower and steadier. That might indeed help.

Must say I really enjoy it (as bad as I am at it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It takes a bit of time for your body to adjust to swimming anyway, so be patient, try to build up sustained distances between scheduled breaks 25m rest 50m rest 100m etc. instead of just swimming until you can't go on and then not being able to. In time, it'll get much easier. and you will find yourself able to swim on through that initial wrecked feeling. Watch out for cramps, as you might start to get the odd one as your muscles adjust, stretch a little when you've warmed up and bring some water.
    Enjoy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hi all, just thought I'd give you an update.

Thanks for your input. I've used all of it and have just swam 22 lengths of a 25m pool! I know it sounds like nothing but to me its a great achievement because I only finished lessons at Christmas.

Paced myself a little better, swam sets, mixed breaststroke and front crawl a little better and even when I felt wrecked just kept going.

Thats where I was falling down before. Thought I couldn't do any more but when I kept going I didn't necessarily feel any worse.

Its not just a once off either. I've steadily been adding a couple of extra lengths every time since your posts. I'm delighted. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fergal.t

Hi,

I have just started swimming again for a triathalon that I hope to do this summer. I too hit a wall after a few lengths, possibly due to swimming too fast. Could anyone give advise re sets to do etc

Thanks in advance

Advertisement