Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate fees?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the situation regarding postgraduate fees. I am currently considering an MA, have sent off the application forms, but I've no idea whether or not I will be financing the fees myself or whether, as at undergraduate level, they are funded by the state.

So, am I going to get hit in the pocket come September or what? :) Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

If you got a local authority grant as an undergrad you still get that and get your fees paid as a postgrad. Otherwise I'd say you'll be forking out, especially if it's a taught masters (I assume it is if it's an MA) and hence unlikely to be funded from any other source.

There are a few exceptions, like I'm doing a taught MBS and most of the fees for that are covered under the NDP Graduate Skills Conversion Programme, but I think that's quite rare.

edit: There might be a thing whereby if you're over 23 you can be assessed off your on income rather than your parents' to see if you qualify for a local authority grant. I don't know to be honest though.

If it's part-time contact revenue about getting tax back on it. Alternatively check up the websites in my signature to see if you could be eligible for a grant if you're full-time. You don't necessarily need to have been getting one at undergraduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

That's very helpful lads; thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Socrates

Slight variation on the same question,

I'm applying for a taught postgrad in Queens, im from Cork myself.

I got a grant for my undergrad, will i still get my fees paid if i go to belfast?

Yeah, both Irelands are covered, but anywhere else isn't covered.

Found this on studentfinance.ie: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9389/my-chosen-full-time-course-is-in-a-college-in-northern-ireland/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Socrates wrote: »
    Slight variation on the same question,

I'm applying for a taught postgrad in Queens, im from Cork myself.

I got a grant for my undergrad, will i still get my fees paid if i go to belfast?

Socrates, you should consider this scheme

http://www.universitiesireland.ie/news/2009leaflet.pdf

Its the North South Scholarship Grant, which if your from Cork and studying in Queens you would qualify for.

Advertisement