Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any websites for sound system guides?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know any good websites for learning about sound systems, amplifiers, speakers, sound formats,pre amps, sub woofers. I find my lack of knowledge leaves me a little bewildered . I like to know what I'm buying , so that some shop floor salesperson doesn't try baffel me with buzz words with no technical merit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm sure there are such websites but given that everyone's idea of ideal sound (not to mention taste in music) is different I don't imagine they wouldn't do you much good.

Find a reputable HiFi shop, there's actually only one in all of Ireland, and you won't get the buzz words or "bells & whistles" nonsense.

If you want to come back here with questions about specific amps/speakers etc that's probably the best way to approach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

http://www.avforums.com is the best resource out there. Also, check out the monthly mag "What Hifi Sound and Vision". I've started buying that recently and it's quality. Can be found in Eason's and Borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I have to disagree. “What Hi Fi” (and those of that ilk) seem to give positive reviews based on which manufacturer buys advertising space and, aside from that, they cover more High Street “HiFi” than genuine higher end gear – which is what the OP was asking about and the forum they posted in.

AV forums is excellent for AV stuff but their collective expertise on HiFi is less than you might expect, especially when they often review AV gear as if it were HiFi when it clearly isn't.
    HiFi News is one of the more respected magazines out there for true hifi enthusiasts.

Without knowing what kind of music the poster likes to listen to, the room the system will be sited in and their budget it's impossible to give any sort of useful advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. “What Hi Fi” (and those of that ilk) seem to give positive reviews based on which manufacturer buys advertising space and, aside from that, they cover more High Street “HiFi” than genuine higher end gear – which is what the OP was asking about and the forum they posted in.

AV forums is excellent for AV stuff but their collective expertise on HiFi is less than you might expect, especially when they often review AV gear as if it were HiFi when it clearly isn't.
    HiFi News is one of the more respected magazines out there for true hifi enthusiasts.

Without knowing what kind of music the poster likes to listen to, the room the system will be sited in and their budget it's impossible to give any sort of useful advice
    I don't read the equipment reviews at all on avforums but there's a wealth of info to be found in the forums from posters.

HiFi News you say. I'll check that one out. Only recently started to buy What HiFi and didn't find it biased. I like the way they compare companies products.

Advertisement