Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bluetooth gps receiver

Options
  • 01-03-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought an ipaq and it came with tomtom6. Purchased a bluetooth gps receiver to go with it. I have set up the connection with the ipaq but in the gps status its showing no valid gps signal. I have the odd bar 2 sometimes 3 but thats about it. Have tried it outdoors too for a short period same results. Have contacted the seller but his answer was to charge the unit for 8 hrs and then try. Surely even with a discharged battery it should still fine satellites while charging?

Faulty receiver??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On the first time out you need to give the receiver lots of time to sort out it's location and remember that each of the satellites broadcasts it's full ephemerides every 12.5 minutes so to completely eliminate any doubts, charge the unit and take it outdoors so it has a clear view of the sky but especially overhead and the southern sky, leave it there if possible for 15 minutes. If it hasn't figured out it's position at that stage it's defective.

You might tell us the model of the GPS receiver so maybe somebody can offer advice specific to that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The model number is JRT-29. I have googled it and it seems other peeps are having problems too and they all seem to come from Ebay. I will do as you suggest and see if it works. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So it has no brand name and you bought it on ebay, then found out after the event that lots of people are having problems with it?

Caveat Emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just to update. Left it on charge for a bit and headed into town (Dublin :D)
    and it picked up a signal much quicker and maintained it for the duration. The display was a slight bit behind compared to my actual position on the road but I dont know if that is down to the ipaq or the gps itself.

Advertisement