Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound on the Late Late

Options
  • 01-03-2008 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

What's the deal with the sound on The Late Late Show?

Every week they have decent musical guests on but they all sound like they are singing in a bucket. Usually the sound for the musicians is ok but the vocals are always dreadful.

Last night they had two singers on performing the Fields of Athenry, you could tell they had great voices but you just couldn't hear them. They sounded distant from the mics.

An appearance on the Late Late can be a great launch pad for new talent but this this technically poor broadcasting is killing that opportunity for them.

It's the same very week. Is the sound set up for the studio audience or something? TBH it spoils the whole show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The standard of audio engineering in RTE studios is pretty rank for live events always has been as far as I can recall. As you say bucket/hollow sound quality its like someone scooped out everything between about 2 and 12 khz.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I think the sound quality is nothing compared to the awful camera set-up on the late late. They use awkward cuts, intrusive zooming into a guests face, coupled with dozens of little camera mistakes per show. Doesnt this show have a director, and competant cameramen? truly amateur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

ruskin wrote: »
    I think the sound quality is nothing compared to the awful camera set-up on the late late. They use awkward cuts, intrusive zooming into a guests face, coupled with dozens of little camera mistakes per show. Doesnt this show have a director, and competant cameramen? truly amateur

I agree. You can see cameras move in front of other cameras. Now they got some red late late show sign that they show as a guest is coming down the steps incase we forget what show we're watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

It really does suck compared with other shows live Other Voices, Transatlantic Recordings, Jools Holland & even Jonathon Ross not to mind the American shows like Leno and Conan. I'm guessing they only check the sound in the studio and don't pay attention to the broadcast feed.

Advertisement