Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat collars

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Someone told me my cats collar is dangerous because it it not elasticated enough. Shes had it for at least eight months and it seems grand.
    She always loses the little collars.
    Is this dangerous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You can check by making sure that it either snaps open if you pull at it or that it will come off over her head reasonably easily. It is possible that it has one of the new safety catches and the person who told you it is not elasticated enough is not familiar with those types of cat collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Yeah it comes over her head but it doesn't snap open. She always loses those ones and I hate her not having a collar as I don't want people thinking shes a stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

If you're worried about her being mistaken for a stray get her micro-chipped

Micro chipping is fantastic. But, cats do not always get scanned. Unfortunately a collar is yet the only way that you can be sure that people know your cat is owned. If there are stray cats in an area it is not unknown for pet cats to disappear around the same time that pest control get called in to "deal" with a colony.

My cats are only given outdoor access to a safe run but I still have collars on any that will tolerate it just in case they get out somehow. I have 2 that don't wear them, one is an ex domestic stray who is still quite nervy, although very loving and affectionate, the other literally rips them off within a few hours regardless of the type used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, there is a risk to your cat is its collar doesn't have an elasticated section.

Most collar's these days have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

My cat is micro chipped. I just don't want people thinking she is a stray. I've heard stories about peoples cats being poisoned by people who thought they were stray.
    Theres a small bit of elastic on her collar. I think its ok. Shes had it for ages and we've had no problems. It goes over her head anyway.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Can some one post a pic of the safety clasp collar. I got a cat collar recently which has an elasticated section but it seems to be very strong elastic. I would prefer a safety clasp collar but none of the pet shops around here sell them? :rolleyes:

https://www.brendaspets.ie/content/cat-collar%2C-motifs%2C-plastic

These have the safety catch. Any pet shop should be able to get them if you ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

http://www.kittycollars.co.uk

I posted that before somewhere too, i haven't used them, ours have some bling ones from ebay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

We took all collars off after a nasty incident, one of ours got her back leg through the safety collar somehow, ours are house cats and we do have them chipped. I wonder if any collar is 100% safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

sebastianv wrote: »
    We took all collars off after a nasty incident, one of ours got her back leg through the safety collar somehow, ours are house cats and we do have them chipped. I wonder if any collar is 100% safe

I don't think any collar is 100% safe - I've heard horror stories involving dogs & collars and they do far less climbing/ exploring. The best you can do is minimise the risks I guess.

Some of mine wear snap collars, some wear buckle collars and JD is currently sporting a day-glo orange collar with pink sparkly bits* as punishment for loosing his incredibly expensive leather spiked collar that made him look well 'ard :D

My lot are indoor with access to a run. About 8 months ago Luci got out and in her confusion went to the neighbours and let herself in. Got a puzzled call from my neighbour asking if a) I was missing a cat and b) if they usually just let themselves in and went to sleep on peoples beds. When I went to collect her Luci was lying flat out on their couch enjoying the fuss. My neighbour admitted that had she not obviously been mine they wouldn't have made an effort to find her owners because she was so lovely... Thank god for sparkly pink diamonte collars and tags! :o

*I suspect he's going to leave a dead present in my underwear drawer to thank me for that, but sure what can you do?

Advertisement