Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British primary teachers v Irish Prim teachers

Options
  • 29-02-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Do you ever find that teachers who are back in Ireland having trained in Britain find it a lot easier over here.......

What do you think? Is it a way of validating their ed? Is it really that much tougher over there? It sounds like a nightmare from what I've heard and just has me thinking....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Derrygirl

Hey there,
    Just had to write to agree with you. I have experienced working in both England and the Republic. I worked in a primary school outside London, it was terrible!!! The head teacher expected half termly plans handed in at the start of every term (6 wks ahead, resources, trips etc nightmare) in addition to this, i worked in a fully exclusive scholl, in my class i had 1 HI (Hearing Impaired) and 4 VI (Visually Impaired) pupils. Thus in addition to normal differentiation, i had to differentiate for these pupils. This involved giving a copy of plans/schemes etc to the Teaching assistant (i had 4!!) 2 weeks in advance so all materials, textbooks, handouts, resources etc could be adapted ie enlarged or re-gigged! This may not sound too bad but think about if you have to diversify or the class "eat" up the material quicker than i had planned for. Too difficult and stressful! :(:(
    In the evenings no teacher left before 4.30pm (hometime 3pm) if you did it was frowned upon. They held loads of extra-curricular activities eg breakfast club, homework club, drama club etc you were expected to help out, it was a mortal sin if you didnt. Im shuddering remembering all this stuff!! Staff meetings were held every tuesady, average time 2 hours. :mad: It was so silly, discussing/arguing over what theme (eg flowers for spring) the whole school displays were going to have that term.
    I got so sick of being married to a job (financial benefits did not reflect the true nature of the job) that one February i handed in my notice to leave at Easter. Best decision i ever made!!!
    Back in ireland i got a years post as a resource teacher in a rural school in Donegal! OH MY GOD!!! it was heaven! :D:DNone of the above nonsense, emphasis was on children and teaching them not public image! i found it so riveting! Its not that the job is any different over in England; its all the added extras. But i have to point out i didnt find the educstion of the children any higher of a standard. In fact probably the opposite!
    A friend of mine went over the next academic year, she lasted a month. I advised her life was too short.
    Hope this helps!:cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Derrygirl wrote: »
    Hey there,
    Just had to write to agree with you. I have experienced working in both England and the Republic. I worked in a primary school outside London, it was terrible!!! The head teacher expected half termly plans handed in at the start of every term (6 wks ahead, resources, trips etc nightmare) in addition to this, i worked in a fully exclusive scholl, in my class i had 1 HI (Hearing Impaired) and 4 VI (Visually Impaired) pupils. Thus in addition to normal differentiation, i had to differentiate for these pupils. This involved giving a copy of plans/schemes etc to the Teaching assistant (i had 4!!) 2 weeks in advance so all materials, textbooks, handouts, resources etc could be adapted ie enlarged or re-gigged! This may not sound too bad but think about if you have to diversify or the class "eat" up the material quicker than i had planned for. Too difficult and stressful! :(:(
    In the evenings no teacher left before 4.30pm (hometime 3pm) if you did it was frowned upon. They held loads of extra-curricular activities eg breakfast club, homework club, drama club etc you were expected to help out, it was a mortal sin if you didnt. Im shuddering remembering all this stuff!! Staff meetings were held every tuesady, average time 2 hours. :mad: It was so silly, discussing/arguing over what theme (eg flowers for spring) the whole school displays were going to have that term.
    I got so sick of being married to a job (financial benefits did not reflect the true nature of the job) that one February i handed in my notice to leave at Easter. Best decision i ever made!!!
    Back in ireland i got a years post as a resource teacher in a rural school in Donegal! OH MY GOD!!! it was heaven! :D:DNone of the above nonsense, emphasis was on children and teaching them not public image! i found it so riveting! Its not that the job is any different over in England; its all the added extras. But i have to point out i didnt find the educstion of the children any higher of a standard. In fact probably the opposite!
    A friend of mine went over the next academic year, she lasted a month. I advised her life was too short.
    Hope this helps!:cool:
    What about IEPS?In-class support ? Meetings outside of school hours? SENOs?NEPS??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

But oh by God arent we trying to be more and more like them all the time...depressing!

Advertisement