Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrubs may get another 18 episodes on ABC..

Options
  • 29-02-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hollywood Reporter story.
    Veteran comedy "Scrubs" is caught in a tug-of-war between NBC and ABC.

ABC is in negotiations to pick up 18 episodes of the series from ABC Studios, which has produced the comedy for NBC since 2001.

NBC brass are said to have been caught off guard when THR.com broke the story Thursday.

A network insider said NBC is still in "first negotiation period" -- a period of exclusive negotiations -- with ABC Studios.

ABC Studios chose not to respond.

Given the history between NBC and ABC Studios, which have been at odds over the quirky medical comedy since the get-go, industry observers are preparing for an ugly battle between the two over a series considered to be on its final lap.

A broadcast series switching networks, though often discussed during contract renewals, is a rare event. Recent network jumpers include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the WB Network to UPN) and "JAG" (NBC to CBS).

The WGA strike cut short NBC's 18-episode final season order for the Zach Braff medical series to 12 episodes. Sources said the network has been reluctant to order additional episodes for the fall, citing the fact that it already has some remaining originals in the can. NBC reportedly floated various endgame scenarios to producers, including ordering one final episode or producing the remaining episodes direct to DVD.

Details of the ABC deal are still being hammered out as contracts for most cast members and writers have not been picked up beyond the current season.

After struggling in recent years to launch a hit comedy, ABC scored this season with freshman "Samantha Who?" The "Scrubs" pickup will give ABC another half-hour title with a built-in audience. It also makes financial sense for parent company Disney because ABC Studios produces the show.

ABC president of entertainment Steve McPherson has a history with "Scrubs," having developed the comedy during his tenure overseeing the studio when it was known as Touchstone Television. McPherson also has been vocal about his intent to pick up the show should NBC drop it.

It has been a rocky ride for "Scrubs." NBC repeatedly has shifted the critically praised but modestly rated show around its schedule. For the past two seasons, NBC also waited until the eleventh hour to pick it up with partial season orders.

Most recently, "Scrubs" has aired as part of NBC's Thursday night lineup along with "The Office," "My Name Is Earl" and "30 Rock," where the medical comedy often was the lowest-rated of the bunch.

NBC has five original episodes of "Scrubs" left, which the network plans to air starting April 10.
    Absolutely great news if true.. because although some people think the show has weaned in later seasons, it's still gets more laughs outta me in one episode than most comedies still on the air.

And for a comedy that's been on for 7 years, that's not mean feat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Scrubs has never been the funniest comedy out there but it is funny and has been for 7 years. I dont mind if its direct to DVD i would buy it like i do with direct to DVD's and movies that deserve it (anything i would watch twice)

I really dont mind how it works out once i get a ending be it a full pick up or just the 12 episodes with a direct to DVD movie (120 mins) (6 episodes) because either way its 18 episodes and ill get a ending once scrubs is not another SAAB or Firefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not quite what it was but I'd be sad to see Scrubs go. I really enjoyed Season 6, thought it was a return to form. Haven't been totally gone on Season 7 so far, but I'd be delighted to see it get another season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good news. Unlike some, I think Scrubs has maintained itself quite well over the years and a proper send off is warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

I think it's still great. It held up quite well over the years but i think that these 18 episodes should be the last of it. Let it finish so that my first two sentences are always valid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Should be good. It's not as great as it was but it's still pretty good. Hopefully these episodes don't ruin it.

Advertisement