Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycott Of Renewing Licence

Options
  • 29-02-2008 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

I propose a boycott or applying/renewing TV licence.

Tips:

1) No inspector can enter home without permission - don't answer door without a call on mobile....they won't have your number.

2) If they happen to get in, walk past and out, pulling door behind.

3) Don't speak to them, don't give any information - they cannot summons you without a name. If in doubt say Gerry Ryan/Bibi Baskin.

4) Remember, licence fee is almost full basic NTL package with crap RTE channels no one wants.

5) Within 6 months RTE's debts will mount up to a breaking point. Banks/Auditors will step in.

6) Within 12 months a change in policy will be immenent.

7) Within 24 months, SKY/NTL willl propose to sub RTE, licence scrapped.

8) No one in Irish history has been jailed for refusing to pay TV licence or paid a fine above £200. You will NEVER be charged, despite horror ads.

Any other legal ways of avoiding paying this antiquidated penalty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

IanCurtis wrote: »

How are any of the ways you mentioned legal when it is illegal not to pay it in the first place. Probably why this thread will probably be locked. It sucks but tis the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I propose a boycott or applying/renewing TV licence.

Tips:

1) No inspector can enter home without permission - don't answer door without a call on mobile....they won't have your number.

2) If they happen to get in, walk past and out, pulling door behind.

3) Don't speak to them, don't give any information - they cannot summons you without a name. If in doubt say Gerry Ryan/Bibi Baskin.

4) Remember, licence fee is almost full basic NTL package with crap RTE channels no one wants.

5) Within 6 months RTE's debts will mount up to a breaking point. Banks/Auditors will step in.

6) Within 12 months a change in policy will be immenent.

7) Within 24 months, SKY/NTL willl propose to sub RTE, licence scrapped.

8) No one in Irish history has been jailed for refusing to pay TV licence or paid a fine above £200. You will NEVER be charged, despite horror ads.

You are full of ****. You are encouraging people to break the law.

[/QUOTE]

Yes they have, and there was uproar over it .Made it onto the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Move to Australia. No TV licences here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Utter rubbish leading to nothing but trouble.

I refer to ...

Thu Jul 12, 2007 Cork Examiner article

176 jailed since 2003 for not paying TV licence

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2007/07/12/story37119.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It's alright for you, Ian Curtis. You are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I've thought about this a lot, and the only way to force change is for mass non-payment. A few hundred posters on a web forum are easily summonsed/fined/jailed/hung along with the rest of the SPONGERS...the only real way you could reach enough people to organise an effective boycott to the point where there wasn't enough staff to follow up or court time to devote, would be through national radio and TV, which is controlled by those who have the most interest in collecting their dues.
    So just pay it, it's a tax....my biggest problem isn't paying it per se, but seeing it squandered on already wealthy individuals who are primarily of mediocre talent, incumbent in their broadcasting niche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Stealth tax is the only way to make sure everyone pays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

TV Sponger :p

Remember the adverts in the 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

The TV license doesn't cover computers does it? If not, couldn't you just download whatever you want to watch instead, and get rid of your TV (and any other item capable of receiving a TV signal)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

€160 a year is about two pints a month. I know people who would spend/waste €160 in a single weekend and do it again the following weekend. There are also many people who pay over €600 a year to Sky, which considering how few of the channels they would actually watch, is extremely poor value for money. Not an inordinate amount considering it covers radio and TV including Lyric T na G, R na G, the orchestras and the other RTE stations. Some good stuff coming out of RTE of late although not associated with the overpaid, undertalented ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

is_that_so wrote: »
    €160 a year is about two pints a month. I know people who would spend/waste €160 in a single weekend and do it again the following weekend. There are also many people who pay over €600 a year to Sky, which considering how few of the channels they would actually watch, is extremely poor value for money. Not an inordinate amount considering it covers radio and TV including Lyric T na G, R na G, the orchestras and the other RTE stations. Some good stuff coming out of RTE of late although not associated with the overpaid, undertalented ones.
    What really pisses people off about are T E is the huge salaries they pay mediocre broadcasters like Tubridy and Mooney.Gerry Ryan was very smug on the radio about his massive salary.he said " I wonder how many licence payers it takes to pay my wages". They live in a different world out in donnybrook.Don't buy a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The greater question is, how did this thread survive since 1am this morning?

Where are the damn mods?

Oh..... wait...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement