Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

Options
  • 29-02-2008 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Anybody out there with strong opinions on Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, or views on whether it is worth reading? A few months ago I read the first 100 pages or so, and it is intriguing, but I refuse to invest a few weeks' reading in this if it is just going to turn out to be one of those books you only keep reading to find out what the hell you were reading. Never Let Me Go annoyed me a bit, (but I found it so compulsive that I read it in one sitting). I kinda liked what I read of Unconsoled, but has it got a point or is it just like Never Let Me Go?

As background on what I am into, I am currently reading Strumpet City (great fun) and Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance (addictive, like Midnight's Children without the showy-off stuff), and recently into Richard Ford, Michael Chabon, Neal Stephenson (The Baroque Trilogy took up all of my Christmas holidays), Robertson Davies, Tom Robbins, Jefffrey Eugenides and lots of random stuff. But I am meant to be studying, so I'm short on reading time, and went so far as giving away as a birthday present my new copy of Granta Book of Short Stories to force myself to spend less time reading.

OK, to summarise: after years of casual reading, lack of time is forcing me to be choosy, so I am wondering if Unconsoled is worth trying again. Would appreciate any opinions, (but without spoilers).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

About 40 pages in myself and interested in opinions as well. Liked Never Let me Go though....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Is this a new book? I've read Remains of the Day (one of my favourite books, ever) and Never Let Me Go (highly enjoyable) and wouldn't mind reading more by Ishiguro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

No the Unconsoled is an older one - I think it's my favourite of Ishiguro's - mind you I have only read 3! It reminded me a lot of The Trial for some reason?? I found it quite compelling at the time iirc (it was a while ago now), so maybe if it's not happening for you it's not meant to be?? I thought Never let Me Go was ok - not amazing or anything but worth reading. I do like that detached, cold style that Japanese writers do so well though. The Unconsoled is more of the same in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I posted it in the 'books to avoid' thread.
    It's vaguely admirable but completely infuriating. Not really worth the effort in my opinion.
    I really like most of his books - Remains of the Day is one of my favourites.
    Wasn't too crazy about Never Let me Go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lc2011repeat

Can anyone tell me where i can find some usefull notes on ''never let me go'', by kazuo ishiguro...!!
    I'M A REPEAT lc student...!! Kindly help..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I didn't like 'When we were orphans' but I thought 'Never let me go' was okay. His style of writing is very clumsy just like Ian McEwan another bore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laoisman67

I watched the film Never Let Me Go on plane back from Sydney at xmas. Its out tomorrow. I found the film pretty good as a whole but Carey Mulligan's performance was just so believable it really made the film for me - never saw her before but she was incredible - go watch it!

Advertisement