Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.Gecko Vivarium size

Options
  • 28-02-2008 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just wondering what size people recommend for leopard geckos?

Am thinking of getting two sometime soon. I see 24 by 18 by 18 being recommended as being ok but I fear that while it's ok it may still be too small.(websites recommend a 2ft by 4ft cage for two guinea-pigs and mine have a 6ft by 4ft) I like to give my pets as much space as possible but realisticly because of where I want to put the geckos I'll be kind of limited, and would have to wait 2-3 weeks for a 3ft viv to come in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

hope this helps
    Leopard Gecko vivarium size
    The question How big a tank does my leopard gecko need? is one which gets asked a lot yet it is a fairly simple one.

Hatchlings/juveniles
    Hatchling leopard geckos thrive in small containers no larger than 1ft cube. This small size makes it very easy for them to catch their food and is small and secure enough for them to feel at ease and not get stressed out so easily.

You should increase the size of the vivarium gradually as the leopard gecko grows, you should move it into a 18x12x12in vivarium once it has out grown its small hatchling tub. This will last it quite a while, until it is maybe 6inches or so (that will usually take 6months or so). At this time it is large enough to go into an adult sized enclosure.

Adults
    A single adult should, in my opinion, never be kept in anything smaller than 30x12x12in although something along the lines of 36x18x12in (height isn’t important as they don’t climb) would be more appropriate. In a 36in vivarium you could keep a pair too although you should never keep two males together or a male with an immature/out of shape female as this could result in a fight or in the case of the latter a breeding attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

I keep my two females (adult and sub-adult) in a 50L RUB tub.

Advertisement