Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural engineer charges

Options
  • 28-02-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have just gotten a quote from a structural engineer for 1600euro (excluding vat) to specify a steel beam which will support a section of outer wall of our house to allow 2 rooms to be made into 1. Seems high to me or am I a tight git. Do they charge a percentage of what they think the building works will cost? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It would cost a lot more if the building collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpauls

If there is anyone out there who , unlike Smashey, has some helpful advice I would be obliged.
    By the way Smashey 10 euro says you are a structural engineer (probably unemployed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

you would find cheaper . the guy was probably not interested . keep looking for someone BUT not on "nixer" basis . you WILL need a cert

johnpauls wrote: »
    If there is anyone out there who , unlike Smashey, has some helpful advice I would be obliged.
    By the way Smashey 10 euro says you are a structural engineer (probably unemployed).
    I'm not an engineer but I stand by what I said.

Now, you got a quote and you weren't happy with it.

Did you ever hear of shopping around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It does seem a tad pricey. But structrual engineers have huge prof. indemnity insurance costs etc, which they must cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would be careful with the comments or it will be a steel ban stick you will be getting and its free - no quote needed - just another couple of useless words from yourself is all it will take.

Dear Mr Smashey are you bored or just naturally patronising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

The sizing of the beam isnt the problem its the specifying.
    Once the engineers specify that beam they are guaranteeing that it is the correct size for the job.

Your builder could probably size one but essentially it is like buying a car off the side of the road as opposed to buying from a dealership. If something does go wrong then you have nowhere to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you want to persist then you are on a looser my friend.

Infraction given

Does that mean the engineer is covering the building if anything goes wrong? or is that the builder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I am a builder and I use one Engineer regularly in Limerick. He pretty much charges 200 euro for whatever advice or certification I need.
    I'm also an Architect with my own Professional indemnity insurance which costs about 1300 per year. I expect his insurance is about the same.
    Incidentally, I use him to issue certs. of compliance as I, believe, I cannot certify my own building work.
    Good luck with your house and I suggest you get a quote, over phone, form another engineer.

if its built wrong - the builder
    if its designed wrong - the engineer

you WILL need that cert my friend . If not today , some day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Simply put a builder will have defects liability insurance which will cover poor workmanship and the like. If they size the steel and all falls down their insurance may not cover it and youll end up with a convertible house and no compensation.
    If the engineer specifys it then their PI insurance will cover them if it fails.

Thanks for the advice from last few posters. 1600 euro plus vat to the engineer just seemed a large amount of money when the builders estimate to actually do the work was 6000euro. Point taken about certification also.Thanks.

like BFH your builder will know engineers ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was it just to specify the beam, or did the price include overseeing/cert.
    I would expect to get both for that price to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I have just gotten a quote from a structural engineer for 1600euro (excluding vat) to specify a steel beam which will support a section of outer wall of our house to allow 2 rooms to be made into 1

There's no harm in shopping around, normally we aim to get around 3 quotes,as you should have a good indication at that stage what is value. You also need to find out what level of service you are getting in the quote, are all expenses included etc.

Make sure whoever you engage has PI, just in case, seeing as you are going to the trouble of getting an engineer in the first place.
    I am a builder and I use one Engineer regularly in Limerick. He pretty much charges 200 euro for whatever advice or certification I need.

Repeat customers normally get a reduced rate anyway, you properly have a good working relationship with the engineer anyway at this stage.

Quote was to specify steel and 1 visit

I'm just seeing this now and notice muffler has dealt with it.

Anymore outbursts/smart comments and you won't be posting on this forum again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 D72

quite pricey all right. If its holding a gable end wall and/or is anything longer then 4.5 meters long then you will need a spec. if its just to hold a couple of floors and joists with no other load then 30kg/meter with an 8inch flange is fine. What do you need an engineers report for they are not all they are cracked up to be. banks are more interested in money rather then building specs and insurance companies dont give a hoot once they get your buisness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 D72

i just noticed the '1 visit' thing there. He/she legally cant give you an engineers report with just 1 visit anyway. I believe a visit to site before and after the installation is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nessie67

I have just gotten a quote from a structural engineer for 1600euro (excluding vat) to specify a steel beam which will support a section of outer wall of our house to allow 2 rooms to be made into 1. Seems high to me or am I a tight git. Do they charge a percentage of what they think the building works will cost? Thanks for any help.

Hi Johnpauls,
    Our engineer charged 2,200euros ex vat for engineering work related to our house build, this included 6 site visits, issuing of stage payments, snag list on completion and cert of compliance.
    Our build involved a large steel fame to support the glass on the front gable
    also, so I'd say 1600 just to specify one steel beam is a tad on the expensive side. I'd def get other quotes just to compare.
    Good luck :)

Advertisement