Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feline Aids

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

My brother's cat has just been diagnosed with feline aids. One of her symptoms is bleeding gums. Does anyone know much about this disease? I know it is completely different to human aids.

My sister-in-law is trying for a baby. Could she catch something from the cat? How does it spread between cats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

First of all FIV is not transmissible to people. Your sis-in-law is not at risk. It's not an automatic death sentence for cats either these days.

FIV cannot be passed from:

* Communal licking or grooming
    * Feeding bowls
    * Sharing beds or bushes
    * Sneezing or coughs

FIV can only be transmitted through direct body fluid exchange, and even taking this into consideration a cat is unlikely to become infected through mating. Infection is predominately through deep penetrating bite wounds, where the skin is broken.

There's loads of info on the Kitten Adoption FIV page

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Thanks hadook. There is good info on that site. My mum is a little concerned and asked me to look it up. We never seriously thought that humans could catch it. Though I was curious as to how it spread between cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

my cat was diagnosed just before crimbo and the bleeding gums thing is an issue too...he is on anti-biotics and eats all his meals but when he finishes his course of meds he stops eating again a few days later...sigh...so its back to the vets for another week of tablets. and so we go on....a week on meds a week off meds, poor kitty :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have owned cats in the past that have had FIV and they have had good quality lives. They suffered from time to time runny eyes, sneezing, chesty breathing and mouth sores.

It is by no means the end of the world for your pet if he/she has FIV. I have had cats live to 14yrs of age with it. The disease does eventually cause death as the animal ages their immune system closes down.

This is my personal experience with FIV.

To avoid FIV always immunise kittens early before allowing contact with unimmunised cats.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

To avoid FIV always immunise kittens early before allowing contact with unimmunised cats.

There is no vaccination for FIV :(

There is a vaccination for FeLV, but it is not always effective as there is many strains of FeLV and the vaccination only covers a few of them.

The only way to be sure your cat is completely safe from any of these diseases is to keep them as an indoor/safe outdoor access cat.

I know a cat who has FIV who is 17.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I agree, it certainly is not a death sentence, but please make sure your brother is responsible and keeps the cat indoors to prevent the spread of FIV to other cats in the area. I personally know of a few cats living with FIV, most of them seem to be coping ok. Its just a matter of, just like HIV, keeping on top of any infections that happen. They are prone to gingivitis, conjuntivitis, urinary tract infections, GIT problems, respiratory infections etc, and may need to be taking prophylactic antibiotics ad infinitum. Like HIV, its not the disease that kills, its usually a cold that develops into bronchitis that develops into pneumonia... the immune system is just not strong enough to cope with infection. Obviously every animal is different, get your brother to chat to his vet to see what the prognosis is for his particular cat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

There is no vaccination for FIV :(

There is a vaccination for FeLV, but it is not always effective as there is many strains of FeLV and the vaccination only covers a few of them.

The only way to be sure your cat is completely safe from any of these diseases is to keep them as an indoor/safe outdoor access cat.

I know a cat who has FIV who is 17.

Jeez My vet said some time ago when I get a kitten to have her imunised against it and the kitten would be fine. I understood vaccine against cat flu/aids.

Must be the felv vaccination

It's a pity they can't vaccinate against it:(:(
    My girl is 10 and is doing great:)

Advertisement