Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landrover discovery 3 or toyota landcruiser

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

had more or less made up my mind to buy a landcruiser comercial but having seen the landrover discovery 3 and driven it , i might consider it instead , its a much much nicer jeep and more comfortable to drive than the cruiser
    i know the old discoverys were troublesome but have heard only good about the series 3 , still its not a toyota

the question of course is , are you sacraficing reliability for appearance and comfort by choosing the discovery over the landcruiser

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Friend of mine drives a Disco 3 (company car) and has put huge mileage on it. AFAIK it's been pretty reliable - he raves about it's comfort etc. This is a guy who is mechanically knowledgeable, has only ever bought a Jap car with his own money and is very intolerent of crap cars.

In other words he's not a fashion victim - I value his opinion when he's says it's a good 'un!

That said maybe he's just lucky:confused:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭byrner1

What about a VW Touareg commercial

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

byrner1 wrote: »

didnt think they had any off road ability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    didnt think they had any off road ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdLdxTF6fKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_U1pdA-EKY&feature=related

Seem to do the Job and would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

We have a 05 disco 180k on clock, never had any bother with it and just took delivery of a second 08 one this year. Its going perfect so far, unparaelled comfort level if you go with the air suspension, great towing ability. Can be a Little bit underpowered for things like passing out though, so might be a good idea to go with the bigger engined version. We also have landcruisers for the guys doing labour related jobs purely for the doggedness and durability of them. The discos are for the engineers and people higher up the chain of command where comfort is less of a priority. I hear the new 06 onwards version of the landcruiser is not near as reliable as the older models. We had an 06 one with an extreemly heavy clutch, loose gearbox and handbrake cable had to be tightened several times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Jaysus...the Irish obsession with VWs knows no bounds:rolleyes:...

homer90 wrote: »

not all of us have broadband, there not a jeep in my book anways

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Discovery 3
    The Discovery is an absolutely smashing jeep on and off road. I'd reccomend it down to the ground. If ur going commercial there's a new XE model, (18inch alloys, phone kit, reversing sensors be the main extra's). They hold there value fairly strong. As for problem i can honestly tell u there is nothing major sticking out, i've seen a few coming back with air suspension problems but other than that they're a perfect all around jeep. 2.7 Tdv6, 190bhp with 440 nm of torque. 3000kgs+ towing capacity.

But then again, i am biased:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

byrner1 wrote: »

The toerag is only a "fashion item" for people with no sense of style. It serves no purpose whatsoever , although I do like the sound of all that torque in the 5.0L tdi.

groupb wrote: »
    The toerag is only a "fashion item" for people with no sense of style. It serves no purpose whatsoever , although I do like the sound of all that torque in the 5.0L tdi.

If vw Touareg it be, then stay away from that 2.5tdi... My god, what an awful engine... 3.0 tdii is the only was to go, and the 5l would be nice too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd say that the adaptive air suspension is a must in a discovery 3, passenger or commercial.There good value as well IMO

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'd say that the adaptive air suspension is a must in a discovery 3, passenger or commercial.There good value as well IMO

It's almost nearly a must, they're on there way the gettin rid of the coil suspension... Not alot of people buy the coil anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Discovery 3
    The Discovery is an absolutely smashing jeep on and off road. I'd reccomend it down to the ground. If ur going commercial there's a new XE model, (18inch alloys, phone kit, reversing sensors be the main extra's). They hold there value fairly strong. As for problem i can honestly tell u there is nothing major sticking out, i've seen a few coming back with air suspension problems but other than that they're a perfect all around jeep. 2.7 Tdv6, 190bhp with 440 nm of torque. 3000kgs+ towing capacity.

But then again, i am biased:p

i take it you work for landrover

the only bad stuff ive heard is that the electrics give trouble , dont ask me to be any more specific , i have a landrover defender passenger which im selling soon and it had electrical problems which while not expensive to repair were hard to get to the bottom of

it spent an entire day in a landrover garrage with no result
    a mate of mine eventually sorted it although he,s not sure how

in reliability surveys , landrover is always always near the bottom
    that said leg room is the most important issue for me and the discovery scores higher there than the landcruiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

The company I work for run a fairly large fleet of 4x4's, over a 100. They dumped Landrover in favour of Toyota back in 01, but are introducing the Disco 3 back into the fleet now.

Didn't much like the look of the Disco at first, but have come round now and will be ordering one in a dark colour hopefully later this year.

If you are not worried about reliability (ie you won't be paying the bills) and have a good recovery service, then go for the Disco. They do look more stylish than the Landcruiser, and it must be due for a facelift / replacing soon anyway.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    The company I work for run a fairly large fleet of 4x4's, over a 100. They dumped Landrover in favour of Toyota back in 01, but are introducing the Disco 3 back into the fleet now.

Didn't much like the look of the Disco at first, but have come round now and will be ordering one in a dark colour hopefully later this year.

If you are not worried about reliability (ie you won't be paying the bills) and have a good recovery service, then go for the Disco. They do look more stylish than the Landcruiser, and it must be due for a facelift / replacing soon anyway.

youve just help me come to a descision , im going for the toyota , that reliability is an issue with them combined with the fact that my local landrover dealer is an arrogant obnoxious tight fisted git has sealed the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kkibos

Moe sizlak,

There is more than one land rover dealer. I'm driving a discovery for 3 yrs now, not a single issue. My local dealer wasn't great (price wise) so I bought from a different dealership in a another county. When changing the last discovery my local gave me a great deal because they knew I would go elsewhere.

The build quality of the discovery has improved greatly from the first models. Have a look at the following web site before committing

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jamesag

had a disco from 05 untill now... went thru three (goin on 4) sets of tyres all for 60k!! read somewhere that the air susp setup could have been at fault... when it came to sell it i had problems...ended up trading in for Land Cruiser. Even the Land rover dealer wasn't to interested in trade. Very happy with the LC but certinally disco was far more comfortble. No other problems at all with the disco though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tom555

The Disco is the best of all the 4x4 a had a number of them and also the old one from 99, I never had a problem with any of them. I have a Range Rover sport now, its drives perfect also.

But the new disco is the best of all and better still with a auto box as there is less turbo delay for pulling boats up slip ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

tom555 wrote: »
    The Disco is the best of all the 4x4...........

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

Guys,

What kind of MPG are ye getting with the Discovery 3 ?

www.carzone.ie says 9.4 Lt/100Km for combined (Urban & Highway) which is 30 MPG by my reckoning.
    Are ye getting that ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement