Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate recruitment agencies

Options
  • 28-02-2008 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

does anyone else here hate rectuiment agencies......a load of under qualified salesmen taking charge of your career.its absolutely ridiculous that companies deal with these under qualified morons :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Agree entirely.

They're constantly making up fictitious vacancies to fill irishjobs.ie with. When you ask about that role they'll say, oh it's gone but here's one you might prefer.

They are a joke.

Give you a tip that I used - if they come up with a role that looks good, badger them to tell you what the company is BEFORE they contact them for you.

Then you contact the company directly.

It saves them a fortune and you'll be a shoe-in, worked for me on 3 occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

IanCurtis wrote: »

It saves them a fortune and you'll be a shoe-in, worked for me on 3 occasions.

Yip - but some companies will see it as underhand and possibly see you as less than trustworthy. Recruitment firms charge a fortune for sure, but unless your talking SME's then companies do not have a major issue with paying recruitment fees, and usually recruitment fees are not a budget issue.

btw, I've no particular love for recruitment fees, and they definitely put up Nectar jobs on the likes of Irishjobs.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

If you think their bad in office type work, you should see them in the construction sector. None payment of wages, no union paid in(after money stopped from wages) no allounce travel. I've seen guy's hired in not being paid complainin/enquiring about it been told there's no work then a new guy from the same agency starting the next day. As for the union again they return the call the guy is off the site so they can't be traced plus if/when you do get union representation you could well be black listed. Most labour in the construction industry is through agencies even if a contract is long term your still an 'agency man' and can be fired at the drop of a hat, and don't go on holiday's your job won't be there when you get back.
    Sorry about that outburst. The agencies in construction are great even if you do have to suck c**k to keep your job.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I only ever used a recruitment consultancy once. I'm not a fan of them either but people still seem to go knocking on their door when their changing jobs:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Bren1609 wrote: »
    I only ever used a recruitment consultancy once. I'm not a fan of them either but people still seem to go knocking on their door when their changing jobs:confused:

That's because firms are too lazy to put an ad in the paper themselves i.e. a few hundred euro rather than pay many thousands to a recruitment firm.

But, this is where agency theory kicks in. If it were your own money you wouldn't hire a recruitment firm, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

There are some agencies that are better than others. I have dealt with one or two great agents who actually listen to you when you tell them what you want. They're tough to find though!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

Recruitment agencies are expensive and employers hate them as well. Almost all practices are recruiting, go to https://www.acca-business.org/pls/ecommerce/edoml001.p_find_firm type in your town and send out some CV’s. Most have e-mail addresses listed, so it will not even cost you the price of a stamp. ICAI have a similar list at www.icai.ie and the CPA’s are at www.cpaireland.ie

For industry jobs, go to the companies own web site where they will list current vacancies and apply directly. Yes this will take some time but a bit of “advanced” Google searching will make it easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Drs&Crs

I registered with two agencies when I first moved to Cork - one put me in for every job going even tho I hadn't seen a spec or okayed my CV to be put forward!

The other agency was fantastic and I stuck to them like glue. The consultant was fantastic, really listened, gave me good choices and really 'sold' me to companies I would never thought I had a chance with (even tho I would have loved the job). And he got me the jobs I wanted. Went above and beyond the call on many an occasion (even found me temp accomodation when I first moved). And the rest of the ppl in the office were very supportive too.

That consultant has since moved away and his replacement is absolutely disasterous to say the least. He doesn't listen, doesn't give proper spec on the jobs, doesn't give the name of the Co.'s involved, doesn't give feedback, looks about 12yrs old and really does not inspire confidence. In two weeks he alone has completely turned me off the agency.

There's good and bad out there........

Advertisement