Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic training ?

Options
  • 28-02-2008 6:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I'm curious on the qualification and entry standards for the paramedic trade in Eire. I’m living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada , My father is from Donegal and my mother is from Black pool, U.K. but I've resided here for my life. With the bulk of my family moving back to Eire and the United Kingdom and the more important fact that all job sectors are completely dead in the Atlantic provinces, I am considering my options elsewhere.

I initially wanted to go into Para medicine here, However you require a 12,000.00$ course called "Primary Care Paramedic" as a prerequisite to even apply for such a position in the Atlantic Provinces. While this isn’t terrible, The waiting list for the course is backed up some three years now. In light of this I entered into a Pharmacy Technician program at the local college here which set me back 22,000.00$ , To which I remain unemployed in the field and currently can only find work picking up weekend backshifts at the local petrol station.

This all said I have no idea how your system works and how the prospects in that market are in south or even north Ireland. My question quiet simply is what type of training is required for a basic paramedic position with the national health system or even a position with one of the private ambulance services ? , Where can I obtain this training and more importantly how much will it cost me ?.

I thank you very kindly to whomever can shed some light on the matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lorna7

Not too sure about full paramedic training, but to become an ambulance personnel (EMT) requires a 9 month training program at Phoenix Park Dublin, and the work is very similar to that of a paramedic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CommonWealth

From what i gather its a stepping stone to be able to attain greater training.Would you know what the tutition is for such a program ? ( i understand that may be a odd concept in Eire as post secondary is free for the most part.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Hi Commonwealth, there's an emergency services forum here, where you might get more responses, so I've moved your post.

Hope that's OK.

I see the thread has been moved,Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

It is currently not possible to train privately to Paramedic here.

First of all, the area is regulated by PHECC -the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council who set down the standards (www.phecc.ie). The National Ambulance Training school (www.nats.ie) do the training for the staff of the National Ambulance Service.

However, as far as I am still aware, you cannot just book a course. The Paramedic level is as follows:

This programme is run in association with the School of Medicine, University College Dublin (UCD)

Programme is 28 weeks minimum duration and includes:

9 weeks theoretical component
    4 weeks supernumerary on an emergency ambulance
    2 weeks supernumerary placement's at healthcare sites
    12 weeks rostered placement's
    One week Trauma Life Support Course

Programme is followed by Clinical practice Internship of one year and includes professional development requirements and competence assessment

Successful candidates are awarded the PHECC NQEMT at Paramedic Level, the Diploma in EMT (Dip.EMT) from UCD and a Certificate of Completion from NASC

Entitles candidates to register with PHECC at Paramedic level

Currently the only way to get into that course is through the HSE (health service executive, who run the ambulances) but they recruit only once in a blue moon. You would be very lucky to get in.

The other option is the Dublin Fire Brigade - but again, they don't recruit too often and it is just as difficult to get selected (competition etc.).

Since NATS does not accept privately funded people for this course, it is not currently possible to get to Paramedic here in Ireland unless you get into the aforementioned organisations (there are no other training centers).

Your best bet is the EMT course, which is roughly 4 weeks, but to get in here you must be sponsored by a private firm first. And if you don't get into the HSE or DFB you're looking at working for a private firm doing patient transport 99% of the time.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Stick to Canada mate. Go mainland. I'm sure you'll get work as a Pharm.Tech there.

Failing that, you'll get about 25/35k here as one.

It's impossible to get these courses here I'm afraid, unless you're good. And if you're gonna try, look into getting truck license!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

To give you an idea of the setup in the UK....

London Ambulance regularly recruit trainees or you can look at getting into the service this way:

http://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/careers/training/training.html

For ambulance vacancies and training outside of the smoke, have a look at this page. It'll give you an idea of whats involved. Starting money is rubbish but as a paramedic you can make a good living.

http://www.secamb.nhs.uk/recruitment

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Stick to Canada mate. Go mainland. I'm sure you'll get work as a Pharm.Tech there.

Failing that, you'll get about 25/35k here as one.

It's impossible to get these courses here I'm afraid, unless you're good. And if you're gonna to try, look into getting truck license!

Pharm tech employment market is super saturated right now due to the urgent need a couple of years ago, Too many people sought out and completed education and there was of course too many people to fill the little amount of jobs that were really needed to be filled.

Along side with that , you basically need to retake the course if you go out west or outside the Atlantic provinces, which for the most part is another 10,000.00$ plus.

Thanks a bunch fella's,I really appreciate it. That crushes that idea :D , I'll look into the U.K. services , but I had read that you require to take a course called " Paramedic Science degree " which is 2,000.00£ - 3,000.00£ a year for three years.

Edit : yeah Metman posted the URL of the page I checked out , I might as well call it a draw as I'm very "Standoffish" on taking more education and digging myself into more debit with the likely result of negative employment in the field.

Advertisement