Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can whiten teeth that have been treated by root canal?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey so i have had root canal treatment done on my top two front teeth,
    they are quite yellow now, and as i fell and broke them, i havn got caps or crowns on them, jus composite......so can i whiten these and if so how,
    any info would be great help, sick of not smiling!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

**** IM NOT A DENTIST ****

...but I did go a dentist about two weeks ago and he told me could whiten it but it involves taking the cap off I think and then he still couldn't be sure of the results. Your probably best off going to a dentist and asking one directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

As usual with matters like this it all depends on the specific situation.I'm not fully sure if it's the restorations or the teeth themselves that have become discoloured.

If it's the restorations then a simple polish or replacement of the outermost layer may do the trick.

If the teeth are discoloured then some form of bleaching would probably be your first option. Your dentist would need to open up the original access cavities at the back of the teeth, place some of the whitening agent and seal it over with a temporary filling. This would need to be replaced on several occasions depending on the severity of the discolouration. Alternatively he/she could leave the access cavity open and supply you with a custom made bleaching tray. It'd be your job then to place the bleaching gel into the tray and tooth. You'd also have to be very diligent about keeping the whole thing clean. Either way you'd have to be aware that the restoration would not change colour - just the tooth structure.

After all that you should definitely see some improvement. If you stiil weren't satisfied you could consider replacing the restorations or having veneers/crowns fitted. The veneers and certainly the crowns would be a last resort.

However, as Static M.e. said your dentist should definitely be your first port of call. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Hey, I'm in the same boat at the moment. I broke my 2 front teeth about 10 years ago, had root canals, had abyssess, basically went through hell with them, after all that they are dead now. And horribly discoloured! I can't afford to get caps at the moment so what would be the best and cheapest? How much is it to get my teeth bleeched or whitened (including the rest of my teeth) would be helpful thanks.

Advertisement