Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pannelling in small room

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

My spare room which I use as an office/junk shop is badly in need of re-decoration! I would like to have it pannelled. It's a small box room and the walls are not the best as the house is very old. Painting looks rotten and you can see the bumps through the wallpaper. I'd love plain pannelling (don't know what you call it officially!) that I could paint cream to give it a Scandinavian look. Obviously I can't do the job myself :o so would love some recommendations/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I could possibly do this job for you if you wanted? How high would you put the paneling? half way up the wall? your probably best off using plain mdf and paiting it cream then after it is installed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I had thought of having the panneling all the way up they wall! However, it might not be feasible so I may have to settle for it half way.

ya you could put it all the way up the walls if you wanted and then paint it once finished...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

ya you could put it all the way up the walls if you wanted and then paint it once finished...

You able to do this? Don't want a botch job! ;)

Ya I could do this for you no problem the only thing is that I would only be able to do it on a saturday as I live and work in Athlone during the week. I reckon it could take two or three saturdays depending on the size of the room.. I would batten out the wall so that all surfaces would be level all round ready to accept the paneling..

Tiz ur call though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

Oh God, do not even consider doing that job in mdf, Horrible, horrible stuff. If you are looking for a panel that goes roughly half way up your wall, then this panelling is called Wainscotting. Batten out the walls, use t and g boards and a capping piece to finish off, when it's painted up. this can look really, really well, hope this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I dont understand why you would only half panel a wall.

use VJ boards as opposed to T&G, I've done it here in the office and it looks great, must get a camera out someday and do some selfpromo shots.

I also used some of that VJ MDF, the difference is staggering, use real timber.

PS I probably wouldnt be available to help as I live in Brisbane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

Half panelling the wall, is the look that most people are after

yeah I get that its a looks thing, but if you half panel a wall yer still left with a lumpy half.

I was out with a customer durin the week, He wanted to sell me some silky oak and some red cedar, I convinced him that he'd be better off thicknessin the pieces and pannelin one of the rooms in is house instead, in fairness tho it will look absolutley terrific if he does it right, panels of silky bordered off with cedar Mmmmmmmmmmmmm nice

also OP,

if yer gonna go to all the bother of gettin real timber why in the name of all thats holy would you paint over the natural beauty of timber.

if ya want a quickfixjob just batten it level and use gyproc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement