Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Shopping Cart Software

Options
  • 27-02-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Right I'm trying to set up a website which using an sql database stores the name
    of users and other things like their credits and I wanted them to be able to buy
    more credits using an asp if possible as Im not up to scrath on the technology used for online shopping carts and I'd prefer to spend the time working on the database if I can get away with it. Basically does anyone know a good company that can do this or is it possible with the likes of paypals merchant software?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Oh and as Ive been typing this ive noticed maybe it should be in an ecommerce section instead, if so sorry and ill delete it sraight away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You are better off using a third party provider to handle credit card purchases such as Worldpay, Paypal etc. I personally wouldn't like the responsibility of holding credit card details on a public server. Unless of course you store them else where locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I thought as much, but anyone know how I could use their software and yet automatically update the users credits in the database once they've purchased them. I've never used online shopping software and I'm not sure how it works. I dont want to have to manually go into peoples accounts and add credits after their purchase if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is this a subscription based thing, where you want to automatically bill on a period basis?

Why do you need to keep a record of the Credit card details - I've only ever implemented cart software that sent a once off bill request to the payment gateway. If they want to purchase again they can re enter their details

No sorry im being confusing,
    I dont want to keep record of their credit cards, basically The users will buy Credits like online tokens in bulk and then spend them on the site. So i need to be able to credit these tokens to their account automatically. Get me? Sorry never great at explaining these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

Worldpay and I presume paypal too would have some form of a callback url that is called to inform the merchant (you) that the credit card payment has gone through successfully.
    This callback page could be on your own server. Once this is called, you can put the code in there that updates your database with the user's additional credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

sh_o wrote: »
    Worldpay and I presume paypal too would have some form of a callback url that is called to inform the merchant (you) that the credit card payment has gone through successfully.
    This callback page could be on your own server. Once this is called, you can put the code in there that updates your database with the user's additional credits.
    I use something like this on an osCommerce site. It is done by the Paypal IPN module. IPN is Instant Payment Notification.

In the site I maintain I use PayPal Web Site payments so direct people to PayPal to submit credit card info. PayPal contacts my site to confirm receipt of the payment. My script changes some info my my db, so you could add credits to an account.

Cool thanks a million guys!!
    Gonna get on it and give it a go.

Advertisement