Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic Book for Beginners

Options
  • 27-02-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hello!

I'm looking for a book to get me in the know with VB and .Net and that sort of stuff. There's loads out there, so does anyone have any suggestions on ones that you might have come across and thought were particularly good?

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Highly recommend, ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed (Sams Publishings) wrote by Stephen Walther ISBN No: 0-672-32823-2
    This is by far the best all round book I found.
    I have got some of the wrox books, but the best way to see if those are any good for you is to download the code first from there website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

Highly recommend, ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed (Sams Publishings) wrote by Stephen Walther ISBN No: 0-672-32823-2
    This is by far the best all round book I found.
    I have got some of the wrox books, but the best way to see if those are any good for you is to download the code first from there website.

Is that book suitable for a relative beginner? I'm not yet near downloading code.. wouldn't really know what I'm looking at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Yep it should be. Also if you watch all the videos on asp.net website. They are great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're only beginning learning to program I would recommend staying away from ASP.Net for the moment, it's only adding in extra layers of complication. IMO you're better focusing on the basics of programming and getting a good foundation in that first. I found Deitel & Deitel's How to Program books great, I think they do a VB.Net version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your an absolute beginner and want to do some classic VB stuff, and get some quick-ish results try "visual basic in easy steps" ISBN 1-874029-74-1, its not your usual 400 page book, thing its about 150 pages, but it will be enough for you to do some simple programs...

http://www.ineasysteps.com/books/details/?1840780290

• Advertisement
Advertisement