Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV amp

Options
  • 27-02-2008 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

I a looking to change my AV amp, and I was thinking about the Sony STR-DG910, I was hoping that someone out there might have one.
    What I am lookng for is to try and reduce all my components, sky , dvd ,blue ray (when I get around to getting one), and DVR to the one HDMI cable and I was hoping this would do this . I am not looking to spend a lot of money. Are there any other suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

According to the specs that I can see on the sony site the STR 910 doesnt do HDMI 1.3 or HD audio which can be found on blu ray discs , as such this is not a good buy , a much better buy would be the Onkyo 605 , its in the same price bracket and has the latest HDMI tech.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR605&p=i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

There's a discussion here on the merits of each of the systems.

But I don't think either will be any use to you if you're looking to put more than 3 HDMI(2 with Onkyo) connections into it.

The new STR 820 would suit you better with 4 HDMI ins and HD audio decoding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Mathis I am kind of leaning towards the Onkyo at the momentfor the exact same reasons you have pointed out, but I an hoping that some people have some experience with either amp.
    johnnyflav I think that you have taken me up wrong, only the Bluray should have a HDMI, as the DVR is a HDD based external enclosure with composite, and Sky is using compent. So the Onkyo 605 fits the bill, what I do want is the upscaling so I can output all throught the HDMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Ahh, OK, I thought you were going to put them all through HDMI...:o

If you're only using the (eventual) Blu Ray for HDMI, then the Onkyo would be perfect for you and you'll always have the spare socket too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have a 605 and am very happy with it , I moved from a sony and to my ears the Onkyo sounds way better , the amp also upscales everything I have through the HDMI , I believe it has trouble with the Wii and so on , but I dont have one of those anymore ( got bored with it and sold it ) so I cant verify that.

I have Sky HD , a Pioneer DVD player ( using component ) , a PS3 ( which kind of makes the pioneer redundant ) , and a HTPC all going through it , and everything works fine with it.
    I'd recommend it over the Sony any day.

The HD audio is handled very well , and the reduction in cabling is great , with just one cable now going from the amp to the TV ( besides the power flex that is ). The Missus is very happy about that :D Spaghetti junction is gone !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I agree with Mathias it's a great product. I am very pleased with mine but don't have a much of a basis for comparision. Currently have a TV and HTPC linked together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Cheers all for the answers ,I think that this has cleared up the whole question for me . So I think that I will buying one quite soon.

Advertisement