Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Year off the cigs!

Options
  • 26-02-2008 11:33pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Yay, one year off cigs as of 10.30pm last night. Can't believe it, the year has flown by and I am so pleased to still be cigarette free.

Can't say I feel any healthier though, I have had more colds, flues, chest infections etc than ever before but I have heard that is the case for the 1st year or so? I put on about two stone in the first couple of months which never increased any further. I was about 11 stone as a smoker and went up to 13 or so. I don't really notice the money being saved as I spend most of it on CD's, that's my new addiction!

According to quitmeter.com, I would have smoked 8,417 cigs and spent just under 3k :eek: in the last 12 months. I smoked on average 20-25 per day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lance111

Hey thats great news!!;)
    When in your oppinion, did you feel the craving started to really wear off so that you were going through the day without thinking of smokes?
    I am 6 weeks off them on saturday, feel really good, but the last week or so cravings have been strong, where I thought they would wear off a bit the longer it went on, Lance:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Congrats to both of you and long may you continue to live without the dreaded weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Yep, congratulations and well done Felixdhc - thats great! I think the return to health is a bit like the damage caused by cigarettes, so gradual that you don't really notice it happening but at a year smokefree you're bound to be breathing and feeling much better than you were as a smoker....I'll be 1 year smokefree in August and I can't wait - ticking off the milestones is a great achievement, enjoy your 1 year! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Well Done, I breezed past the 1st anniversary of my quit on the 21st of Feb without realizing.
    I was only thinking the other day that it must be a year now.
    Had to go looking for my post in the lent thread from last year.

After the first year I can say it's the best thing I've ever done:) I wasn't easy at times but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fatheadsgt

Im off them myself since December but the cravings seem to have being getting stronger. Any suggestions would be welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I gave them up for over 2 years and even hated them for those two years (this was after numerous attempts at quitting prior to that & the first few weeks without them were difficult alright. I was a smoker for 10yrs).
    About 6 months ago I started smoking again :( My ex smoked and like an idiot I had a drag and was back on 20+ a day. Still smoking but I'm determined to give them back up again. My lungs will give up otherwise and I'm getting sick of spending so much money on them when I could upgrade my camera or spend my money far more wisely.
    Fatheadsgt, that will pass, it's only a thought in your head. They're a waste of time, money & health - and that's coming from someone who is still smoking!!! :mad: Alan Carr's seminar/books are really good, it might be worth reading his book just to clear your head of any thoughts that may tempt you to go back smoking. :)

I smoke 10 packs a week including weekends so, what are they €7.20?
    €7.20 x 10 = €72.00 a week
    €72.00 x 52 = €3744.00 a year

Enough said.

Advertisement