Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freefalling but no sign of Tom Petty..

Options
  • 26-02-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Just a quick question,

Having inherited a princely sum & invested it long term I'm considering returning to pursue a BA hons degree which has been my ambition for some time now. I'm considering quitting my job (which I hate with a passion..) & taking a two month hiatus before commencing evening study & working again to pay bills, rent etc.

My query is this - if something happens that I have problems securing employment after the two months are up will the money that I have invested effect my prospects of receiving social welfare payments? Will there be a problem also if I tell them that I left my job voluntarily?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you leave your job and sign on two months later then you may be disqualified payment for about one week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Actually the disqualification can last up to nine weeks if you left work voluntarily. If you are claiming Jobseeker's payment the investments wont affect it, however if you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance your means will be assessed as capital against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Actually the disqualification can last up to nine weeks if you left work voluntarily. If you are claiming Jobseeker's payment the investments wont affect it, however if you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance your means will be assessed as capital against you.

I searched for some info on the net but couldn't come up with anything that explained the above indepth - whats the difference between jobseekers payment & the JS allowance?

Thanks for you response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Nolanger wrote: »
    If you leave your job and sign on two months later then you may be disqualified payment for about one week.
    Actually the disqualification can last up to nine weeks if you left work voluntarily.

Two months + 1 week = 9 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Thanks nolanger - maths aren't my strong point!
    Jobseeker's benefit is based on PRSI paid and can last for 390 days
    If you don't qualify for this you may go on Jobseekers allowance which is means tested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement