Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing For Dog's Area

Options
  • 26-02-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend what type of fencing to use round the perimeter of a dogs excerise area.

It has to be strong and high to contain german shepherds.

Is there any type of panels that you can buy that just attaches together and forms a boundary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

What about the panels used for fencing building sites? Easy enough to get hold of and come with clips that hold them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

cill dara fencing sell something like this.

google them. (I think its www.cilldara.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

LisaO wrote: »
    What about the panels used for fencing building sites? Easy enough to get hold of and come with clips that hold them together.

The only problem with them is there is a big gap underneath that dogs could get out under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

You could always bury them down a foot or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We've got chain link all round.

1.5 meter above ground, 30 cm buried. (i.e 6 foot high chain link) We initially wanted to go higher but that would have added another few hundred to the cost. As it stands 1.5 meter is high enough, but if your dogs were climbers/high jumpers you could add additional wires on top of the posts.

We got a digger to dig a narrow trench to bury the fence in and to dig the holes for the concreted corner posts. Dear enough excercise (3k for half an acre)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I got the building site fences from Brooks at 30 squid a section and i sank the blocks that they sit in hence eliminating the gap under the fence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cill dara dog run panels are excellent but depending on the size of the area it would be expensive to fence off a larger area with it and it wouldn't stand up unless put all the way around in a square or bolted to concrete.
    Prob. best option is timber posts (8feet high 2 feet of this goes in the ground) with chainlink fencing. FRS (farm relief services) do domestic fencing.
    I think 6 feet high is the highest you are allowed to go but since it's sort of non permanent fencing you might be allowed to go 8 feet in total but talk to someone about that first just in case.

I put timber post and chain link fencing around our garden and it's working great cost a lot but it was a larger area I found the timber chainlink was the cheapest option. The chainlink wire is the thick hard wearing stuff.

Advertisement