Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonee not on Navteq v9/v10?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Can anyone confirm that Clonee (as a town/location name) is not present
    anywhere within Navteqs v9 or v10/2008 maps ?
    I got stumped with this a week or so back when I keyed in Clonee Meath
    and my Nuvi 360 came back with nothing.
    I just went to the mapreporter site (navteq) and panned to the location
    and found that while it does have the various street names , eg
    LittlePace,etc it doesn't have an entry at all for Clonee village.

Can anyone check to see on their units if this is indeed the case ?

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No it doesn't, but then it doesn't have entries for a lot of similar "villages" in the Greater Dublin area either. I guess it all boils down to there probably being no exact "official" definition of where the boundaries of these places lie. I have a friend who lives in Monkstown .. that doesn't exist either, even though the street she lives in does, and the Navteq maps claim it's actually in Blackrock (which it may well be "officially", I don't know). Until we get a postcode system in place I can't see any real improvement in this regard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes this is likely to be a problem in the bigger cities where village names get invented, usually by auctioneers. For example there is officially no such townland as 'Leopardstown', the older OS maps showed this area as 'Fox and Geese' but you'd be hard presed to find anyone in the area who uses that in their address. You'd need to check the electoral register or look at the deeds of a house to get the definitive name of a particular area.

In the Navteq maps there are also holes outside Dublin, for example the village of Abbeyshrule in Co. Longford which has it's own airfield and a harbour on the Royal Canal is nowhere to be found, it doesn't even get a little dot on the map, search for the 'Rustic Inn' in restaurants and you'll see what I mean.

Advertisement