Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5 Episode 9 *****SPOILERS***** discussion thread

Options
  • 26-02-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I don't think there's any need for a poll here-just another superb incident packed episode in what is IMO the best series.

I can't believe there's only one left now; on the one hand I want it to go on for ever but maybe it would lose the advantage of it being a self-contained, pre-planned complete story rather than the open-ended barrel-scraping which marred the final episodes of the Sopranos for me.

I suppose the major talking point will be the death of Snoop-in the greater scheme of things it was only a footnote to the plot but such was the impact of her character both through her menacing on-screen presence and the fascinating background history of the actor that this is the one scene that stuck in my mind.

In the end it was almost romantic as she and Michael sat alone together in the car. As she faced death she finally showed a feminine trait as she enquired after her appearance which Michael acknowledges in calling her 'girl'. Maybe she could have asked 'does my bum look big in this?,' but hey, you can't have everything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Best bit was the string of arrests. Bunk and Freemon being smug *****. Awesome stuff.

Be interesting to see how the last ep plays out. I know The Wire never does straight happy endings, which is one of the biggest things I love about it, but I don't think I could stand to see Marlow etc getting let off and McNulty locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I just can't believe that Kima ratted Jimmy out :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

**** Kima. I can't believe that she rat out McNulty and Lester. What the **** is Herc up to telling Levy bout the wire, doesn't he realize that he cud be ****ing up the case against Marlo. Good ok Herc, u can always count on him to **** things up for everyone else. My favourite scene has to be Reginalds aniversery, the emotion in that scene was incredible. To tell the truth I was figuring back the tears myself. Good old Lester as well as putting a case against Marlo, he managed to use the useless case against Clay Davis to get info on maybe one of the most over looked crooks in the show, Levy. Tbh the thought of him being arrested never popped into my head but now that theres a chance, I hope Lester nails his ass to. Only one more to go................

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Best bit was the string of arrests. Bunk and Freemon being smug *****. Awesome stuff.

Be interesting to see how the last ep plays out. I know The Wire never does straight happy endings, which is one of the biggest things I love about it, but I don't think I could stand to see Marlow etc getting let off and McNulty locked up.

It could well happen. They tapped him illegally so all the evidence might have to be thrown out. Mcnulty is up the creek big time. So is the Freeman.
    Herc the bastard sold out carver by going to Levy with the info.
    Dukie heading for a bad life :(, Namond excelling in his.
    It's going to be like the end of Season 4 again.
    A lot of this. :mad::mad::(:(:confused::eek::cool:

JPA wrote: »
    It could well happen. They tapped him illegally so all the evidence might have to be thrown out. Mcnulty is up the creek big time. So is the Freeman.
    Herc the bastard sold out carver by going to Levy with the info.
    Dukie heading for a bad life :(, Namond excelling in his.
    It's going to be like the end of Season 4 again.
    A lot of this. :mad::mad::(:(:confused::eek::cool:
    Yea, but as Jay Ru mentioned they have dirt on Levy now. So it might be that just as Levy is about to bring up the evidence that it was an illegal wire tap Freemon might hit him with what he knows and they'll work out some kind of deal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Can't believe there is only one episode left of the best tv show ever made! Another brilliant episode. Michael killing Snoop,Kima ratting out Jimmy,whihc means Freamon will get done too,all the arrests.Bunny and Namond making a cameo,namond as debate winner,who would have saw that last year? Damn!

It will be so interesting to see what they do with only on ep left. What will happen to Michael and Dukie? Will the whole case fall apart now that Kima ratted out Jimmy? Marlo goes free and McNulty and Freamon get arrested...that would be something the Wire would do! Levy to get taken down? Who is the source at the courthouse? So muhc stuff that needs to be dealt with in only one episode. Guess we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

great episode, soo much happening & it was great to see bunny & namon again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Wow, have to watch it again, as i watched it at 6.30 in the morning after work. Marlowe really lost the plot inside in the lock up. I can definately see kris taking him out. bubbles looked normal. Kima what can you say, i thought she'd be the last person to tunr Mcnulty in. what the hell does one make of Herc, he gave Carver Marlowes number but then he's telling Levy stuff. I hope Herc does right in the end.

No leak(in demand) next week, so we'll have to wait 2 weeks, at leat it'll be 2 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

No leak(in demand) next week, so we'll have to wait 2 weeks, at leat it'll be 2 hours long.

2 hours long? is the finale a double episode? please say its so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

jArgHA wrote: »
    2 hours long? is the finale a double episode? please say its so!

It's a 90 minute season finale afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Wow, kinda knew it would come down to Kima shopping Jimmy but still harsh. The emotion from Bubbles talking about Gerrards death was powerful. Snoops killing was another memorable scene. Lester shaking down Clay was funny. Herc just never learns. Poor bug too :( Another fantastic episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Anyone notice the little reference to Dexter? At least I assume it was Dexter. Dukie is watching tv and says something like "this is brilliant,he is a serial killer who kills other serial killers" :D

tvnutz wrote: »
    Anyone notice the little reference to Dexter? At least I assume it was Dexter. Dukie is watching tv and says something like "this is brilliant,he is a serial killer who kills other serial killers" :D
    Yep, I laughed at that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Michael is sick cool

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I called Kima ratting them out! Go me! Still not nice to see though, especially knowing that that greasy-lawyer Levi(?) will now do his best (and his best is very good) to have charges over thrown.

The Michael angle I didn't see - it's interesting to see how Lester and McNulty's oh-so clever use of some "informant" (to cover the wire taps) resulted in Snoop's death and major upset for Michael, Bug and Duke. Sad too - their lives are all destroyed with only Bug standing a real chance of making it.
    Speaking of kids making it - great big grin when I saw Naymond. Nice to see Colvin do it (you're forgiven "Prison Break" now!)

Like also how Lester and McNulty handled their actions - McNulty's guilt trip ain't good. I'm definitely expecting him to go off the force now and Lester to get slapped down. How far it all goes though will be interesting - Daniels will want to come clean because of the taints in his past and his ambitions. It's not going to end well..

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

the way i see the case going is this, Levy will make a deal with the cops to the effect of him not getting Marlo off in return for his own case been forgotten bout.

tbh i can't see McNulty's serial killer story really gettin out, the Mayor has based his run for gov on these homeless murders and if there revealed as being fake, the Mayor takes the chance of ruinning his prospects of becoming the gov. sure Mcnulty will be punished but i don't think it will be as bad as i cud be.

I REALLY HOPE MICHAEL KILLS MARLO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think marlo will only get small sentence now, due to them using illegal means to catching em out , source = void == marlo bot connected with the bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SlothBadger

"My name is my name!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

"My name is my name!"
    Contrast that with what The Greek said in season 2, "my name is not my name" and it sums up why Marlo is in a cell and The Greek is sipping an espresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I think the chances of Michael making it out of Ep 10 alive, are slim to none. :( Although I can see Chris killing Marlow before letting anything happen to him, so who knows??

Great Episode as usual, it's actually quite sad to think there's only 1 left. Greatest thing I've ever seen on any screen IMO.

• Advertisement

Crumbs wrote: »
    Contrast that with what The Greek said in season 2, "my name is not my name" and it sums up why Marlo is in a cell and The Greek is sipping an espresso.

Thats why it always saddened me what happened to Stringer. "We're gonna deal with this like grown men, and later for that gangster bull****". Proper business man.

Thats why it always saddened me what happened to Stringer. "We're gonna deal with this like grown men, and later for that gangster bull****". Proper business man.
    He should never have told Avon about D'Angelo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mccafferty

Watched it last night. Great episode. I think the last couple have reeled in the uncharacteristic outrageousness of the serial killer storyline. One way or another McNulty's fairlytale is over. It's sad that the reason he started the whole charade was so Marlo would be put behind bars but now that that has happened he can't take any pleasure in it.

I hope Templeton gets disgraced but, who knows, maybe the paper would prefer to continue with a pulitzer winning lie than the sober truth. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's going to happen. He'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist.

Definitely the best episode of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

what a brilliant episode, definitely the best of the season. Anyone else notice Lester mentioning Shardene?

I always wondered if he was still with her. I don't think she has been mentioned since the first season. She was easy on the eye if I remember correctly. Good work Lester! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Sherifu wrote: »
    He should never have told Avon about D'Angelo.

he shud have never touched D'Angelo or his wife, the hoebag

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just watched it it there and all I can say is holly ****.

I can see Jimmy is in deep ****. It must end of him fairly soon!

Advertisement