Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista PC not working with linksys Wireless Router

Options
  • 26-02-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am having problems adding a new Vista Home Premium Pc to my existing Linksys wireless Network.

Il outline the steps I have tried in the hope that someone has had the same issue.
    new Vista pc found my home wireless network, I attempted to connect and it asked for a passcode to my already Secured Wireless Network.

Enter Passcode and it cannot connect and goes to Diagnose the problem screen which isnt very helpful as it goes on about Signal strength even though its at 80%

Decide to enter in a Network Cable Directly and Internet works fine.

I disable Security settings briefly on the wireless Router and try connect to the Un-secure home Network, works fine.

I reset my Wireless Router and start from scratch again, I then set up some security on it with a WPA-Personal TKIP and a Passcode.

I successfully connect my XP laptop to the router with the passcode.

I then attempt to connect the Vista laptop again, signal strength is excellent, I get to enter passcode screen and it fails once again with cannot connect to Network.

I have tried www.Linksyscom for solutions and there does seem to be some problems but dont want to go mess with settings too much as it works without security so the problem arises when Security is turned on, any ideas very welcome :(

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try manually defining a connection with the appropriate security settings and see how that responds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

No luck with that either :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No luck with that either :(

What encryption method did you choose on the router?

WPA Personal( TKIP), is that ok with Vista?

WPA Personal( TKIP), is that ok with Vista?

Yes, that should work fine. Try turning of the Windows firewall and see how that affects it.

• Advertisement

Attempted that too,my router isnt supported on the Linksys website with regards to Vista so maybe their is an issue with it,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

TKIP could be your problem. Try changing to WPA PSK.

-annex- wrote: »
    TKIP could be your problem. Try changing to WPA PSK.

i think the only other option i have is ASK, il check when i get home thanks

i think the only other option i have is ASK, il check when i get home thanks

Annex seems confused a little. WPA-PSK can use two different encryption schemes, TKIP and AES. AES is stronger but uses more processing power (not an amount that matters these days). Change to AES on the router and see if that improves things.

Changed to AES and still no joy, there seems to be plenty of information on the Linksys forums about the BEFW11S4 router not being compatible with Vista and it aint supported on their website either anymore, ther is of course cases where some people have gotten it to work but they seem to be few and far between.

I think il go for a new router, one that is definitely Vista compatible.

Thanks Spear for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just to add something on this. Im experiencing the same issues with Vista and have browsed countless forums looking for the definitive answer. There are lots of methods for trying to get this to work: disabling IPv6, renewing IP addresses, changing private/public networks etc. But I have still been unable to get mine working.

There seems to be some issue with vista and wireless. I am able to connect using a cable, but wirelessly im suffering the same problem: local access only. I have tried diagnosing etc. Its driving me mad because I got it working on 1 laptop 4/5 months ago and am not sure how I got it working, now I am back at square one again....

Any ideas or solutions?

Advertisement