Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin DCC cameras will soon double up as "congestion charge" monitoring devices.

Options
  • 26-02-2008 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Many of those DCC cameras across Dublin which are intended to assist in urban traffic flow will soon double up as monitors for this proposed fourtcoming global green tax or what will be locally known as a "congestion charge". Strategecly placed at almost every main intersection across the city, at toll plasas and close to the port tunnel these "Big Brother" cameras have the ability to pan tilt and zoom right down on every vehicle registration entering the city.

These cameras are also placed high up that they are almost impossible to tampered with. If you not conform to this preposed form of "Euro green tax" you can be expected to get a nasty summonse in the post just like a speed camera notification. When this "congestion charge" was introduced In London they were told that they would only operate during week days however they run 24/7 365 you can expect the same here. Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) can be used on existing CCTV networks.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Number_Plate_Recognition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And just to note, it works very well in London. It's improved the city congestion by an incredible amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Many of those DCC cameras across Dublin which are intended to assist in urban traffic flow will soon double up as monitors for this proposed fourtcoming global green tax or what will be locally known as a "congestion charge".

What's a "forthcoming global green tax" when its at home?

Also...you seem to be suggesting that there isn't actually a congestion problem in Dublin which needs to be tackling, and that there is some ulterior motive (neither congestion- nor ecologically- based).

These cameras are also placed high up that they are almost impossible to tampered with.
    You make it sound like you have an issue with this - that you think they should be where people can tamper with them.....
    If you not conform to this preposed form of "Euro green tax" you can be expected to get a nasty summonse in the post just like a speed camera notification.
    Similarly, if you don't conform to the already-established forms of "Euro drink-driving tax" or "Euro speeding tax", or indeed the "Euro taxing-your-car tax" or "Euro insuring-your-car tax", you can also expect to get a nast summons in the post.

How sinister...punishing people who disoobey the law, even when they don't agree with it.

I dunno....only last week we had someone complaining about "pre crime" policing, and now we have a complaint that people aren't allowed cheat or break the system when they disagree with it. What does that leave? Should I only be held accountable for crimes I commit where I agree that the law I broke should be enforced???

There are other ways to deal with the congestion. Instead of cameras, for example, we could fit cars with mandatory GPS transceivers, so they record and broadcast their position. I'm sure that would make the likes of RTDH much happier. Or we could take the French system and simply limit what days certain cars could drive in certain areas....allowing the rich to have 2 number-plates per car and be unaffected, but screwing the common man. Or we could just decide that because we don't believe in Global Warming, there isn't actually a congestion problem in Dublin to be dealt with at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bonkey wrote: »
    There are other ways to deal with the congestion. Instead of cameras, for example, we could fit cars with mandatory GPS transceivers, so they record and broadcast their position. I'm sure that would make the likes of RTDH much happier. Or we could take the French system and simply limit what days certain cars could drive in certain areas....allowing the rich to have 2 number-plates per car and be unaffected, but screwing the common man. Or we could just decide that because we don't believe in Global Warming, there isn't actually a congestion problem in Dublin to be dealt with at all....
    Most cars will eventually "voluntary" accept these GPS tracking devices in the form of high powered RFID transceivers for accessing the Port Tunnel, west link and all other toll roads that will eventually go barrier free. These will assist the authorities track down any of those that tamper with their number plates with chemical blocking sprays etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Most cars will eventually "voluntary" accept these GPS tracking devices in the form of high powered RFID transceivers for accessing the Port Tunnel, west link and all other toll roads that will eventually go barrier free. These will assist the authorities track down any of those that tamper with their number plates with chemical blocking sprays etc.

Hang on isn't tampering with your number plate already a crime?

You've yet to explain the following;

Why is a congestion charge a bad thing?

Why is using cameras to enforce such a charge, a bad thing?

Most cars will eventually "voluntary" accept these GPS tracking devices in the form of high powered RFID transceivers for accessing the Port Tunnel, west link and all other toll roads that will eventually go barrier free.
    By putting quotes around the word voluntary, do you mean that in fact people will be forced into it?

Or are you just using quotes to try and give it some sinister connotation, despite the fact that it will, in fact, be voluntary.
    These will assist the authorities track down any of those that tamper with their number plates with chemical blocking sprays etc.
    Sure it will....just as soon as they start putting RFID receivers everywhere, and trust that drivers trying to cheat the system won't do anything underhanded like put their RFID-carrying whatever inside a Farraday cage whenever they're not driving on a toll-road.

• Advertisement

By putting quotes around the word voluntary, do you mean that in fact people will be forced into it? .
    Just like smart transit cards such as the "Oyster card" people will be offerd generous discounts for the change over, they will also be penalsied with long cues as more lanes at the toll booth will be designated express barrier free lanes.
    Sure it will....just as soon as they start putting RFID receivers everywhere, and trust that drivers trying to cheat the system won't do anything underhanded like put their RFID-carrying whatever inside a Farraday cage whenever they're not driving on a toll-road.
    I will certainly be putting my RFID transceiver in my led lined glove compartment, the only problem is that I may have to take it out on a regular basis as these same devices will be used for monitering my presence at cashless parking metres in hospitals, park n' ride and multi story carparks.

Just like smart transit cards such as the "Oyster card" people will be offerd generous discounts for the change over, they will also be penalsied with long cues as more lanes at the toll booth will be designated express barrier free lanes.

So it is voluntary, and you know its voluntary.....but still felt the need to put the word in quotes to suggest that its something other than voluntary.

Fair enough.

So it is voluntary, and you know its voluntary.....but still felt the need to put the word in quotes to suggest that its something other than voluntary.Fair enough.
    THe UPC and EAN barcode started off as "voluntary" coinvenience aid for tracking and stock taking trade items in stores. They are now mandatory in the global retail and food industry and will soon will be replaced by RFID technology. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYY85IyDNM

Yes, and many other things began life as voluntary and remain voluntary.

So basically, you're trying to suggest something sinister about a technology you know you can defeat and which you want us to believe will be something other than voluntary, even though the only evidence you have for that is that some other stuff in the past has changed from being voluntary to mandatory.

Like I said...fair enough.

I have an Oyster card in my wallet, the only way it differs from my old travel card is, if I lose it, it's a painless process to get it replaced, rather than the long Qs and endless forms to process a missing travelcard.

Serious Rtdh whats your issue?
    I will certainly be putting my RFID transceiver in my led lined glove compartment, the only problem is that I may have to take it out on a regular basis as these same devices will be used for monitering my presence at cashless parking metres in hospitals, park n' ride and multi story carparks.

Again Rtdh, you've explained what RDFID is, and the congestion charge doesn, you've yet to explain why you feel it's wrong.

• Advertisement

Diogenes wrote: »
    I have an Oyster card in my wallet, the only way it differs from my old travel card is, if I lose it, it's a painless process to get it replaced, rather than the long Qs and endless forms to process a missing travelcard. Serious Rtdh whats your issue?.
    I also have an oyster card since 2005, I had great difficulty registering it because I had an address outside of the UK without a post code. The reason it is so easy to replace is that all your details are on record, just like re applying for duplicate ownership cert for a car, its only a matter of downloading the info and printing it out. The Downside of the oyster card is that everey movement you make is tracked along with the tens and thousands of CCTV cameras placed along the LRT system. Jean Charles de Menezes was innocently bumped off because of cock ups over his records from his Oyster card and CCTV footage. His identity was mistaken for that of an Islamic terrorist because of his sallow skin complexion. Thank God they did not have such a sofisticated surveylance system in London during the IRA bombing campaign in the 1980ies there would have been more than just the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 locked up.
    Diogenes wrote: »
    Again Rtdh, you've explained what RDFID is, and the congestion charge doesn, you've yet to explain why you feel it's wrong.
    Both have one thing in common they are tracking devices that pin point all your movements and yes both systems are wrong because they both infringe on your privacy.

The Downside of the oyster card is that everey movement you make is tracked
    Unless you don't want it to be, in which case, you can easily prevent it.
    Both have one thing in common they are tracking devices that pin point all your movements
    Except that Oyster Card can at best only track the movement of the card, and even then can only do so when the owner doesn't wish to prevent that.
    and yes both systems are wrong because they both infringe on your privacy.
    The Oyster Card infringes on your privacy if and only if both of the following are true:

1) You choose to have an Oyster Card
    2) You choose to carry the Oyster Card in a manner which allows its RFID-capabilities to work even when you don't need them to (i.e. unshielded).

I'm find it hard to see how its an invasion of privacy when its entirely the user's choice.

Its a bit like saying that its an invasion of my privacy when someone walks into my house, even though I left the door open and put up a sign outside saying "please come in and say hello".

The same will apply to RFID-tracking in cars. You admit it will be voluntary. You admit you can (and will) block the chip when you don't need it to be functioning. And despite all of this, you complain that it will be an invasion of your privacy for you to choose to have one and to choose when it will and will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭DMC2005

Jean Charles de Menezes was innocently bumped off because of cock ups over his records from his Oyster card and CCTV footage.

He used the card to go through the barrier, thats all. How is that a cock up from his oyster card records?????

In relation to the ANPR software, some traffic cameras already run it. How else did you think they work out journey times ?

DMC2005 wrote: »
    He used the card to go through the barrier, thats all. How is that a cock up from his oyster card records?????

In relation to the ANPR software, some traffic cameras already run it. How else did you think they work out journey times ?

Yup this is pure cock and bull the police didn't have DeMendez's oyster card records, they actually thought he was a different person, they saw him coming out of the same building as a suspect.

How you could suggest that Irish people would have been wrongly accused of crimes, if the oyster card was in place makes no sense whatsoever.

DMC2005 wrote: »
    Yup this is pure cock and bull the police didn't have DeMendez's oyster card records, they actually thought he was a different person, they saw him coming out of the same building as a suspect.

Thats why it would be so convenient for the corporation to use these same cameras for monitering traffic for congestion charges.

Sorry my mistake on this one, it was his Oyster card that proved the cops wrong because they could prove that he logged in at stockwell. However all the footage of the cctv in Stockwell tube station was coinveniently switched off that morning of the shooting during the height of the London security crisis. However cops are continually using data from Oyster cards to track down the movements of "criminals". http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4800490.stm

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

THe UPC and EAN barcode started off as "voluntary" coinvenience aid for tracking and stock taking trade items in stores. They are now mandatory in the global retail and food industry and will soon will be replaced by RFID technology.
    UPC and EAN barcodes uniquely identify a product, nothing more. Having spent a fair chunk of my career working with barcodes - printing and tracking - I can attest that they were an enormous time- and money-saving innovation. You can see this in action yourself at any supermarket checkout.

The problem with a barcode is that it only identifies a product; not a specific instance of that product. It would be useful to be able to individually identify a specific instance, for example to monitor stock rotation and sell-by dates.

It's instructive to note that several products already have unique serial numbers encoded in barcode form; many laptops, for example.

The question is: what's the problem with having every tin of beans uniquely identifiable?

There's those quotation marks again. Are you implying that the police don't track criminals, but instead are tracking joe public and reporting the information to "They"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 STEVO B

oscarBravo wrote: »

The question is: what's the problem with having every tin of beans uniquely identifiable?

What little vision you have OscarBravo.

When the beans are replaced by shepple, who agree to voluntary have an RFID implanted in their arm, thats when the problems starts. Soon after this it will become mandatory and people like myself will have no other choice but to leave the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah, something we can all look forward to.

STEVO B wrote: »
    What little vision you have OscarBravo.
    Leaving the ad hominem aside...
    When the beans are replaced by shepple, who agree to voluntary have an RFID implanted in their arm, thats when the problems starts. Soon after this it will become mandatory and people like myself will have no other choice but to leave the country.
    The problem with this conspiracy theorist paranoid fantasy crapola is that it doesn't even make the tiniest hint of a nod towards logic.

If you read the majority of my post which you snipped, you'll notice I distinguished between barcodes that identify products and those that identify individual instances. RFID tags are conceptually similar to the latter, but are easier to read (with caveats).

I don't have a barcode on me that can uniquely identify me, despite the technology having existed for decades. What evidence is there that I'll be forced to carry an embedded RFID chip?

• Advertisement

I don't have a barcode on me

Yet.

Would you take an RFID chip in the arm? Given that you believe it is so good in tracking beans, surley the government could put it to good use tracking people. Surley this would help when convicting murderers etc.

Yet.
    What prompts this, other than paranoia? What evidence is there that there are any plans, by anyone, anywhere, to barcode people?
    Would you take an RFID chip in the arm?
    Of course not. What makes you think I would?
    Given that you believe it is so good in tracking beans, surley the government could put it to good use tracking people. Surley this would help when convicting murderers etc.
    I'm not a murderer. If I was, there might be a case to be made for tracking me - but I don't think an embedded RFID chip is necessarily a good solution for this.

At the risk of stating the obvious, there's a key difference between tins of beans and people: tins of beans don't care whether they're tracked or not.

I'm not a murderer. If I was, there might be a case to be made for tracking me - but I don't think an embedded RFID chip is necessarily a good solution for this.

But if we all get one the police will be able to solve crimes easily. Would you take an RFID chip in the arm (its the size of a grain of rice apparently) and allow the cops to trace your every move, on the basis that it would combat crime? I think most people would see the value in this.

What part of "no" was unclear?

What part of "no" was unclear?

Well the police can track your every move with your mobile phone anyway. Big Joe from the Naul will tell you all about it.

Sorry my mistake on this one, it was his Oyster card that proved the cops wrong because they could prove that he logged in at stockwell.

I hope you object to this. After all, it was an invasion of his privacy which proved his innocence.

I hope you object to this. After all, it was an invasion of his privacy which proved his innocence.
    Even if he did jump the style he didn't deserve the death penalty. The CCTV should also have proved his innocence but these were conveniently "switched off", just like all the Dublin city CCTV and CCM cameras will be when the cops are proven wrong in any incident.

Not all of them. Isn't there footage of him jumping the gate?

humanji wrote: »
    Not all of them. Isn't there footage of him jumping the gate?
    They say he didn't jump the gate, apparently his Oyster card was clocked in at Stockwell. Unless the RFID chip in his Oystercard card was activated from inside his pocket as he was leaping over the barrier. :eek:

• Advertisement

Ah, founf what I was looking for. Here's a video with the security footage. You're right, he walked through. Not sure who I was thinking jumped the barrier. Anyway, the point is, it shows that all the security cameras weren't conveniently "switched off".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_NjcYO6zvoc (about 3:25 into it)

Advertisement