Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premiership Player/Manager

Options
  • 26-02-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭

Who was the last player/manager in the Premiership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Karl-Heinz Riedle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

injured365 wrote: »
    Who was the last player/manager in the Premiership?

Attillio Lombardo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Vialli

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Karl-Heinz Riedle

I think this is the answer. Lombardo left Palace in 99 and Vialli stopped playing for Chelsea in the same year I think. Riedle was at Fulham as player manager until about 2001. Although he was technically a player/caretaker-co-manager or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Was Chris Coleman a player manager, despite not playing?

• Advertisement

Was Chris Coleman a player manager, despite not playing?

Possibly he was still registered but his car crash was in early 2001 and he never played another senior match after that. Started coaching at Fulham at start of 2002-2003 season but wasn't manager until 2003 IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

javaboy wrote: »
    I think this is the answer. Lombardo left Palace in 99 and Vialli stopped playing for Chelsea in the same year I think. Riedle was at Fulham as player manager until about 2001. Although he was technically a player/caretaker-co-manager or something :D

okay turns out Karl-Heinz Riedle didnt manage them in the premiership.he was player/manager in the 99/00 season but Fulham's first season in the Premiership was 01/02

kev_s88 wrote: »
    okay turns out Karl-Heinz Riedle didnt manage them in the premiership.he was player/manager in the 99/00 season but Fulham's first season in the Premiership was 01/02

The plot thickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Bryan Robson ? Didnt he have to play a game for Middlesborough cause they where caught short with injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Mark Hughes, Blackburn player & Wales manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Think Martin O'Neill had a squad number at Celtic. Does he have one at Villa?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Peter Reid for City? Probably not the most recent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Think Martin O'Neill had a squad number at Celtic. Does he have one at Villa?

Is that what that is?? I noticed years ago at Celtic that O'Neill always had the same number (31) on his tracksuit tops or sweater when he's on the sideline and he wears the same number now at Aston Villa - what's the significance of the number, I wonder? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Is that what that is?? I noticed years ago at Celtic that O'Neill always had the same number (31) on his tracksuit tops or sweater when he's on the sideline and he wears the same number now at Aston Villa - what's the significance of the number, I wonder? Anyone know?

I may be wrong, but I think its the amount of goals he scored in top flight football.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stuart Pearce??

Something in my head says he was a player/manager for a time!

Or Ruud Gullit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Gareth Southgate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Stuart Pearce??

Something in my head says he was a player/manager for a time!

Or Ruud Gullit?

Pearce was at Forest but not at City. He played as a coach with us.

I may be wrong, but I think its the amount of goals he scored in top flight football.

No kiddin... cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Don't think that's the reason.

I've always wondered what the story with it was.
    Googled it there and there seems to be a few theories:
    -It was the number he had towards the start of his career
    -Brian Clough used to wear the number (as a player or manager)
    -His birthday is the 1st March - 3-1
    etc

and apparently when he's asked about it he always says "ask me next time..." or somesuch.

The Brian Clough theory seems the most likely to me.
    I'm not sure if its a squad number either, as Didier Agathe was given the 31 shirt at Villa...:confused:

Don't think that's the reason.

I've always wondered what the story with it was.
    Googled it there and there seems to be a few theories:
    -It was the number he had towards the start of his career
    -Brian Clough used to wear the number (as a player or manager)
    -His birthday is the 1st March - 3-1
    etc

and apparently when he's asked about it he always says "ask me next time..." or somesuch.

The Brian Clough theory seems the most likely to me.
    I'm not sure if its a squad number either, as Didier Agathe was given the 31 shirt at Villa...:confused:

Hmmm, interesting... I wish the f*cker would just come out and tell us! :D

I would doubt it's the birthday one as, on this side of the world we would call March 1st "1/3" (I would anyway!) would we not, while Stateside they'd say "3/1" ??

The Clough one is interesting as, while I'm sure there was plenty of respect and admiration between them, they had a notoriously rocky relationship while O'Neill played under him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement