Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla Inlet Manifold

Options
  • 25-02-2008 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Inlet manifold gone in '02 corolla, sounds awful. Toyota garage quoted me €500+ to fit inc labour. Anyone have any experience of getting it done cheaper elsewhere? From what I gather its a pretty straightforward job??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Inlet manifold gone in '02 corolla, sounds awful. Toyota garage quoted me €500+ to fit inc labour. Anyone have any experience of getting it done cheaper elsewhere? From what I gather its a pretty straightforward job??
    being told that there is a recall on corollas engines. if yo complain that it is using oil they will run a test which can be easily doctored and fir a new short block, will prob solve your prob and you will have a rebuilt engine for nothin..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

slideways wrote: »
    being told that there is a recall on corollas engines. if yo complain that it is using oil they will run a test which can be easily doctored and fir a new short block, will prob solve your prob and you will have a rebuilt engine for nothin..

If its the new 02 shape corolla then no there is not a recall on those ones, only on the 00-01 Facelift E11.
    It was the first of the VVTi engines and the reason they Burn so much oil is because the wrong oil is being used in them.
    I got mine in a Toyota garage and they used 10/40 in it when in fact the recommended is 5/30 fully synth.

Go to a non main dealer and you should get a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

slideways wrote: »

How will fitting the short block solve a problem with the inlet manifold??

OP what exactly happened the inlet manifold? It's unusual to have tp replace one. Did it get damaged?

Its a simple enough job to replace. Less than an hours labour I would have though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Avns1s wrote: »
    How will fitting the short block solve a problem with the inlet manifold??
    Sorry i assumed it was a gasket prob and not the manifold itself..
    I imagine that when they rebuild the engine they use a complete gasket kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the inlet manifold isn't a particularly hard job to do. it's the parts that make up most of the cost.

It's not exactly a hugely common problem on Corollas, but it does affect a number of Toyotas of that era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

The vvti corolla's had a problem with the inlet manifold (which is plastic) cracking iirc.A second hand one would be cheaper and cheaper labour costs if fitted by non main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

So any non-toyota garage would be fine?
    There was an extended warranty for 02 corolla's witch introduced the plastic inlet manifold but car is outside the 5 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Any good local garage should be able to fit a manifold to your corolla, main dealer labour prices per hour can be up to double what your local mechanic might charge, just shop around.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 swiss1234

my inlet manifold is also gone my 02 corolla. garage told me they couldnt find one and told to look else where for one. are they hard to find?? where should i look?? how much would they be??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there's no point in buying one second hand as you could have the same issue in 6 months time. AFAIK they're a dealer-only part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

swiss1234 wrote: »
    my inlet manifold is also gone my 02 corolla. garage told me they couldnt find one and told to look else where for one. are they hard to find?? where should i look?? how much would they be??

I think the Corolla Manifold is the same as the Avensis VVTi and if it is this rattle is caused by a loose baffle going through the centre of the manifold.This can be cured by putting a small screw in near where its connected to the engine block.Swiss 1234 if you want to pm me a contact no I will talk to you

Advertisement