Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't EVER give your pet chicken bones

Options
  • 25-02-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking of my dog (Sammy RIP) and remembered how a few years ago he had to spend a week in the hospital because he was given chicken bones (not by me I hasten to add).

Chicken bones are thin and weak and so split inside him and started to cut into his intestinal wall and it took an operation to take them out.

Anyway, I've discovered that not many people realise the dangers of this and so I said I'd post on here to alert dog/cat owners of the risk.

The risk is HIGH so for your pet's sake, don't do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks - actually I didn't know this - and I thought I had read up on everything about food for my pets (cats).

Now that I think about it - my cat stole a chicken bone last week and had crunched through it before I caught her. I presume if it was going to cause injury it would have happened by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'm always careful in that respect because many years ago a friends dog got a chicken bone stuck in his throat and it was terrible seening him trying to dislodge it.
    Chicken fillets all the way. I usually cut up any chicken I'm feeding to my two into small pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

tallus wrote: »
    Chicken fillets all the way. I usually cut up any chicken I'm feeding to my two into small pieces.

Its nice to hear about other people spoiling their dogs. I'd say they love you, getting chicken breasts for dinner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have Cats :) I'm not really a dog person.
    They would jump through hoops for chicken they love it so much. They come running when there's chicken being handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

tallus wrote: »
    I have Cats :) I'm not really a dog person.
    They would jump through hoops for chicken they love it so much. They come running when there's chicken being handed out.

Just look at them run! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I might ass here that the bone from a chop is just as dangerous for your pet.

I had the pleasure (NOT) of taking a pork chop bone which was stuck in my dogs bum out!.. We wanted to bring her to the vets, but she was screaming so badly, trying to pass the bone that I had to go in after it with my finger - YUK!.

Not nice for either of us. A quick visit to the vets, all was well but I nearly needed councilling, lol..

Thats so funny!! How did it get through her intestines?

You think you needed counseling? Imagine how the dog felt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

As I mentioned in a previous thread, my dog ate an entire roast chicken, bones and all!

She was grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

My pet chicken can't really eat bones anyway! She sometimes gets dog food though...

A

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I am so afraid of that happening, my dog pinched a chicken bone on me once and I was so worried. Luckily it didn't do her any harm.

They are lethal the damage they can cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Everytime I got meat left over, be it on bone, I throughlyly debone it before giving to me dogs as I'm all too aware of the dangers small bones can cause. :o

P.S. - When I first read the topic, I was thinking "Who gives their chicken bones?!!!" XD

As I mentioned in a previous thread, my dog ate an entire roast chicken, bones and all!

She was grand though.

Thats every dogs dream! A whole roast chicken to themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

so none of the following then:
    chicken bones
    turkey
    chocolate

our little westie gets plenty of chicken and pork, he is spoilt but what you going to do!!!

Why not turkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

She was grand though.

Yeah, obviously many dogs and cats eat chicken bones and never have any problems but I just said I'd bring it to peoples' attention as though often consuming chicken/turkey bones for a pet has no consequences, in many cases it does.

Just a heads up.

Good to see people reading this thread and becoming aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Here's a (true) horror story about chicken bones. A dog, (and yes I saw this dog, and the x-rays, and the surgery, so its not BS), ate a chicken bone, it got lodged in its oesophagus, penetrated through the wall, went straight into the right atrium of the heart, and when it was removed, the dog promptly haemorrhaged and died, on the operating table.

Advertisement