Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia 40" LCD 850euro

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Sony Bravia 40 inch HD Widescreen television

Was € 1.399,00

Price now : € 849,95

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

Would have been nice if it was full hd to go woth the HDDVD the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

kearnsr wrote: »
    Would have been nice if it was full hd to go woth the HDDVD the other day

Thats a good deal , am very very tempted as low delivery charges are a plus, however a lot of sites like knomplett, expansys have now got 40" LCD for same prices, id sy they are trying to clear all stock that is not Full HD. The cheapest Full HD is around 1100 so theres a bit of a step up in price allright!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Meh, investing in one of these bargains would seem like a good idea. But for an extra couple of hudred you can go full HD. No point buying hd ready at this stage imo

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Meh, investing in one of these bargains would seem like a good idea. But for an extra couple of hudred you can go full HD. No point buying hd ready at this stage imo

Any Full HD bargains to be had?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Any Full HD bargains to be had?

I havent come across any yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

What is the main difference with HD Ready TV and HDTV ?

Is the screen better with a HDTV ? If you are sending a HD source into the telly will it display the same in a HD Ready and HDTV ?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

wardie wrote: »
    What is the main difference with HD Ready TV and HDTV ?

Is the screen better with a HDTV ? If you are sending a HD source into the telly will it display the same in a HD Ready and HDTV ?

Ta

The "HD Ready" tag you see basically indicates that the screen supports 720p HD video, usually with a native resolution of 1366x768. These sets can display 1080i video also but it is downscaled to the native resolution so its not true 1080.

"Full HD" sets come with a native resolution of 1920x1080, and can display 1080p.

In terms of what this means to the average consumer....

Xbox 360 and PS3 can both output video at 1080p under certain circumstances so if you want to get the very best out of these consoles you should invest in a "Full HD" set.

Not that you will even notice much difference over the 720p that the "HD Ready" sets output.

The difference is clearer when you reach massive sizes, 42" plus.

As far as I know all of the content broadcast over Sky TVs HD service is 720p/1080i so the "HD Ready" sets are fine for this.

BLU-Ray and (the obsolete) HD-DVD are both capable of 1080p so again, if you want to make sure you are getting the best out of these formats, "Full HD" is the way to go.

Hope this ramble helps you somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To condense the above,
    HD Ready = HD TV
    Full HD = Games and HD DVDs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

To condense the above,
    HD Ready = HD TV
    Full HD = Games and HD DVDs

Nope, HD ready cannot display the 1080i signal from Sky as it only has 768 lines so some internal scaling required 'fraid

At 42" you'll be pushed to notice the difference between 720p and 1080P unless you sit very close to the TV

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

slave1 wrote: »
    Nope, HD ready cannot display the 1080i signal from Sky as it only has 768 lines so some internal scaling required 'fraid

but 720p can give better quality than 1080i, so downscaling 1080i to 720p is nothing to worry about... so hd ready should is good match for sky

will find lots of info why 720p better than 1080i (although it will depend of type of content being displayed)
    eg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Thanks for that vid, I'm glad to have Interlaced vs Progressive finally explained to me :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

First of all, good vid, explains very well in as short a time as its possible to explain, but it's just his opinion on whether 720P is better than 1080i, for the other side a 1080P TV has 1080 lines so why not use them, also for a TV to downscale takes effort, anyhow a discussion that belongs elsewhere, for fastmoving content 720p is better so in the US a lot of sports channels are 720P, for ordinary TV dramas etc 1080i as they are slower moving and not subjest to interlaced artifacts.
    However, bit academic for SkyHD users as Sky have chosen 1080i so any TV messing around to convert to 720P is manipulating the native signal.
    Would be different if the native signal was 720P, then I'd go for 720P on a 1080P screen.
    Personally with a 55" 1080P TV I choose 1080i to match the native SkyHD feed.
    On a 42" IMHO no difference, I have one and it's set to 720P

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement