Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That won?! - FILM AWARD FORUM WINNERS DISCUSSION *ONLY* HERE

Options
  • 10-02-2008 3:03pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any comments/opinions on the award winners can go here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Transformers for score. Haven't seen the other nominated movies but I can see myself getting the scores.

Superbad > Knocked Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I agree with most of the winners. I dont agree with the way you shameless plugged your own opinions and how they won in an 'im so great' way while slating those you didnt like. The thread really could have done without that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Archimedes wrote: »
    I agree with most of the winners. I dont agree with the way you shameless plugged your own opinions and how they won in an 'im so great' way while slating those you didnt like. The thread really could have done without that. :rolleyes:
    Oh Christ.. he was expressing his opinion. Get over it!

Thomas Turgoose should have won 'Best Newcomer' for 'This Is England' - McLovin was the most nauseating one-dimensional character committed to film. And while we're talking about that category - since when is Shia LaBeouf a newcomer? Has no-one seen 'Holes', 'I Robot', 'Bobby', 'Constantine' etc? :eek: :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Archimedes wrote: »
    Get over it. I plugged my opinion? I'm not selling something, I'm not influencing the vote in any way. I gave my opinion after putting a good bit of effort into it all and I think I deserved that much.

Now keep this for discussing the winners/losers okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think there were one or two more deserving scenes in 'No Country For Old Men' for the Best Scene award.

While the coin-toss scene was very good, personally I think two other scenes in the movie were better;
    when Llewelyn was swimming away from the dog. When he got out of the water and had to take apart his gun to dry it while the dog was bearing down on him was brilliant.
    The other one:
    when Chigurh tracked down Llewelyn with the transmitter and stood outside his hotel room door, while Llewelyn sat on his bed at the other side with his shotgun, staring at the shadows that Chigurh's feet cast under the door. Incredible tension, my heart was racing during that scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think there were one or two more deserving scenes in 'No Country For Old Men' for the Best Scene award.

The other one:
    when Chigurh tracked down Llewelyn with the transmitter and stood outside his hotel room door, while Llewelyn sat on his bed at the other side with his shotgun, staring at the shadows that Chigurh's feet cast under the door. Incredible tension, my heart was racing during that scene.
    Oh hell yeah.. agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I'll just go through them one by one..

Best film - Really surprised to see all the love NCFOM is getting. Boring film with a poor ending and it really didn't feel like it was 1980. There was much better out there including Inland Empire, The Lives of Others and Into the Wild.

Best director - Let's just say I won't be checking out another Coen brothers film in the near future. I've watched two of their films, including Barton Fink, and both were borefests, and both had annoying endings. David Lynch should have walked this.

Best score - Maybe I'm mistaken here but Into the Wild was released in 2007 right? And even though David Lynch decides to leave Angelo Baladementi (spelling way off) out of this film, it still rules big time.

Best actress - Believe me, I'm a big Watts fan, but let's get real for a second, she really didn't do much to be in a list for 'Actress of the year'. Far more deserving of the award was Laura Dern who was absolutely brilliant in IE.

Worst film - I'll go with I Am Legend. Dire.

Best scene - An extremely boring coin toss scene gets the award? :D Classic stuff. No real tension, the viewer couldn't really care what happened next. I can think of numerous ones from the films I've listed above but won't bother you with them.

Most over-rated - Toss up between NCFOM and Eastern Promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

What happened with the - Worst Acting Performance of 2007? Didnt get posted in results post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

is there a david lynch fan of the year award too?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What happened with the - Worst Acting Performance of 2007? Didnt get posted in results post.
    Well spotted! I'll fix that later :)

• Advertisement

adonis wrote: »
    is there a david lynch fan of the year award too?

Wow, original fella, original.

It's quite obvious that if I think Inland Empire was the best film to come out of 2007 then subsequently I'm going to think there was some pretty good acting/pretty good score/pretty good directing. Not that hard to understand, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thou shalt not suggest the Coens are Boring. It is Heresy. Hence the suggestion that holding the opinion that Lynch's movie was better marks you as a fanboi. Stop attempting to use logic when arguing.

Winners / losers? It's a poll - most votes wins. Interesting though that "biggest numbers" validates people's preferences one way or another when talking about awards, but invalidates them when talking about bums on seats. The eternal dichotomy of popularity:
    Thou shalt be popular enough to be rewarded, but not popular enough that too many people like it too.

Haha, because I like Inland Empire over No Country makes me a Lynch fanboy?

Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

was julie christie not nominated in the best actress category? she should have walked it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Winners / losers? It's a poll - most votes wins. Interesting though that "biggest numbers" validates people's preferences one way or another when talking about awards, but invalidates them when talking about bums on seats. The eternal dichotomy of popularity:
    Thou shalt be popular enough to be rewarded, but not popular enough that too many people like it too.

I suppose the logic, is that only people who have an interest in film as a medium, would bother looking up a film awards forum, whereas popular films attract a lot of people who have only a very casual interest in film.

Make sense? I'm not too sure myself, but it's a fairly democratic way of doing it. I've always had a bit of a problem with the idea that only certain people have good enough taste, that their opinions on things are valid.

Advertisement