Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching cats tricks?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to teach my cat a few tricks. If shes smart enough to be able to rob steak out of the pan without burning herself, surely this is worth a try.
    Any tips? Anyone ever get their cat to do any tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

My big ginger guy gives me a hug and kisses on demand. Best way to start is to get them to do things when you ask them that they will normally do easily themselves.

It is also possible to clicker train a cat if they are fond of treats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Yeah, she loves food so I'll try that. Shes started bringing back the ball because shes seen the dogs doing it but I don't think she understands why shes bringing it back. And she only does it when it suits her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Harry used to play fetch with his mouse but he thought that himself, none of the others do it

Is knowing they don't have to jump down off the side if we're not holding the waterpistol considered a trick? grr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Two of mine play fetch with me, though they learned that themselves. Sit, beg, rollover (more of a 'playdead' than rollover :D) and high five. Lots of patience and treats if they do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jhealy74

well my sister thought our cat not to jump up on car bonnets using the waterpistol technique

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

The only trick my cat does is opening the fridge and helping himself to any meat in there but he taught himself that one. Over the last few weeks he's gotten 2 half tins of tuna, half a boiled ham, sliced ham, sliced chicken and raw chicken fillets. We have to keep a chair in front of the fridge now. :rolleyes:

Advertisement