Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 370

Options
  • 24-02-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Evening,

Lads need a hand, im looking to purchase a sat nav system with the US maps preloaded or with the capability to upgrade to the US maps (I believe this option os 200 euro on top of system).

From reading these boards it would appear its easier to buy the system with any maps you need pre loaded would this be correct?

If this is correct it leaves me with 2 options the garmin 370 or 770...they are bit pretty expensive so will probably look at buying it when I get over there or get one from a US retailer who ship here....customs, tax yadda yadda...my question is probably I need some reasurrance this is the best way to go.

I go to America frequently and find that im hiring sat nav for 160 euro each time and buying one would pay for itself over a few trips. So if anyone has a better idea/tips let me know

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Given the current exchange rate I'd say it's probably best to purchase this in the U.S., your best bet would be to get someone over there to purchase it via mail order, you then collect it from them and pay them in U.S. dollars next time you're over, that way you eliminate the risk of falling foul of the Irish customs. Failing that you could just buy it over the counter yourself when you go over.

One thing to remember: You'll need to bring the car power cable and windscreen mount with you every time you travel. However if your journeys are going to be relatively short and you'll have a laptop with you, you could just bring the USB cable instead of the cigar lighter cable and charge the unit between road trips.

Did you consider the 270? This also has transatlantic maps but less bells and whistles, if you don't want the MP3 player or FM Traffic capability, it's over 100 dollars cheaper than the 370 and doesn't have the flip-up antenna so is better for pedestrian use - you can leave it switched on in your pocket and whip it out whenever you need to know where you are.

Take a look here and compare the 270, 370 and 770 side by side...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/category/automotive?locale=en_US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Nuvi 670 comes preloaded with US and European maps. Have one and it's great.

There are plenty of sites that will ship to Ireland from the US (as well as the possibility of customs charged by Revenue).

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Thanks for the tips lads....any recomended usa sites that ship here that have been known to be helpful in the customs department? Apart from Ebay I cant find any!! ;)

Advertisement